German Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In case anyone is wondering, this is what's more commonly known as "lamb's lettuce" or "lamb's tongue" and is a somewhat bitter, leafy green. It can be found in parts of Europe, but is not easy to find in the US.

close-view-of-lambs-lettuce.jpg
Also called "mâche" (particularly in France but also elsewhere). It's pretty easy to grow and doesn't take up much room.

I've seen it in some of the salad-in-a-bag offerings, and (very) occasionally at the farmers markets, but other than that it's not a common item here.

I buy it all the time at a store right down the street. But it also carries several types of cress regularly too.

How did mâché appear on a potato salad thread?

I buy it all the time at a store right down the street. But it also carries several types of cress regularly too.

How did mâché appear on a potato salad thread?
It was an ingredient in one of the potato salad recipes that someone posted above. They called it by the name "cornsalat."

Also called "mâche" (particularly in France but also elsewhere). It's pretty easy to grow and doesn't take up much room.
I see it quite often at Produce Depot and the Asian markets. It grows everywhere here.

When I was growing up and when I lived in Germany, potato salad was always served warm...with bacon and the bacon fat used in the dressing, caraway and radishes were also always part of Great Grandma Lizzy's Kartoffelsalat. Or, maybe my Grandma added those! Lizzy died b/4 I was born.

I see it quite often at Produce Depot and the Asian markets. It grows everywhere here.

When I was growing up and when I lived in Germany, potato salad was always served warm...with bacon and the bacon fat used in the dressing, caraway and radishes were also always part of Great Grandma Lizzy's Kartoffelsalat. Or, maybe my Grandma added those! Lizzy died b/4 I was born.

That's how I have always been served German Potato Salad. Warm with bacon and the bacon fat as part of the dressing. For a while it fell out of favor because of the bacon and fat being such an important ingredient. I just can't imagine having it made any other way. Yum!! :angel:

Careful how you use the term "authentic". There are probably as many recipes for German potato salad as there are Omas.;)

Good point Craig. My German grandmother always used bacon in her "authentic" salad.
Let's not pick on that person. The person wrote "...an authentic..." which implies one of several or many authentic recipes.

Let's not pick on that person. The person wrote "...an authentic..." which implies one of several or many authentic recipes.

Glad to see you jumping in with both feet again TL.

And while we are at it, I would like to make a request of our long time members. Please check the number of posts of the person asking a question. I have noticed several times it is a first time poster, and no one is giving them the welcome each new member deserves. Grant you, more often than not, their first post is not if the "New Members" folder, but they still deserve a hearty welcome from all of us. After having a couple of new members log on, I have missed that they are new. I learned my lesson and I now automatically look to the left to see who is writing the post and how many posts they have to their credit. I may not have an answer to their problem, but I always have a welcome from my heart for them. :angel:

You have a valid point Taxi.

Wow, you're really going to do this again Addie? :huh::(

What? Ask the members to give a warm welcome to new members? Isn't that what we have always done? Or is this going to be "make Addie my whipping post again"?

Sorry Addie....but please link to the post where you welcomed this new member. :ermm:

Please don't chastise other members publicly for not getting to it right away....we all love to see new members and I think that's a given. We are all busy, and sometimes we just want to answer a new member's question first.

We have a new member today....did you see that?

I'm sure this will be deleted. That's fine. Just wanted to get a point across. Sheesh......

I saw that you 'welcomed' her in another thread, Addie....my apologies.

I do think you're taking it a bit far as far as the 'welcoming police'.
Take care and have a good evening. :)

We had two new members today. One from Texas and one from Canada. We also have a new member from Perth, AU. And then there is the gentle reminder I posted hoping that some of our older members would see it in the question about subbing a yellow onion in place of using a white one.

I have been guilty myself in the past of not catching the new members when they first post. So I now make a concerted effort to notice every new name and the number of posts they have made. There are several different means of receiving notices of new posts. I choose to see them first in my emails. Then if it is a name that I do not recognize, I will open that post immediately. I do know that EVERY member can look to the left of the post and see if it is a new name with only one or less than five posts credited to the name. That to me says, "Hey we have a new member." I may not have an answer to their query, but I can give them a warm welcome.

Now if that is so offensive to some of these members, then so be it. It isn't the first time I have been beaten on verbally in this forum. I would hate to think that some of the folks here would not consider me a friendly person. But if that be the case, I know where the "Ignore" button is. :angel:

I saw that you 'welcomed' her in another thread, Addie....my apologies.

I do think you're taking it a bit far as far as the 'welcoming police'.
Take care and have a good evening. :)

Cheryl, I am not chastising anyone. I am only asking that our longtime member please be more observant and welcome our newer members. I don't think my request was written in an offensive manner. :angel:

Cheryl, I am not chastising anyone. I am only asking that our longtime member please be more observant and welcome our newer members. I don't think my request was written in an offensive manner. :angel:

I think you are wrong Addie. You most certainly come across as the welcome wagon police chastising the membership like children. That indeed is offensive. We are all adults here, and have no need of being scolded. Sheesh!!

OK. Nowhere is it written that every new person needs to be welcomed for asking a question. Sometimes they just want their question answered, and maybe they don't want to become a participating member. Some of them are also spammers as one was today. If you want to welcome them, that's nice, but certainly not necessary. The DC website is pretty straight forward, if a new person wants to introduce him/herself, it's an easy thing to do as we have an introduction forum. Even I was able to figure it out when I first got here!

Last edited:
...If you want to welcome them, that's nice, but certainly not necessary. The DC website is pretty straight forward, if a new person wants to introduce him/herself, it's an easy thing to do as we have an introduction forum....
Kinda like saying "we have an app for that"! :cool:

When I first joined, I only posted my question. Later that day/next day, I got a PM from a mod welcoming me and inviting me to tell a little about myself in the New Members forum. I would guess that is still the policy? It was a nice welcome then, I did the intro thing, and now you guys can't get rid of me! :LOL:

When I think of it, I'll check for new members over in that same forum. Usually I don't remember. I also check for birthdays. Sometimes I catch them, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I remember late, but better late than never, right?

Back
Top Bottom