German Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda82

Assistant Cook
I was looking for a nice salad to make tonight and I found this one:

German potato salad recipe

1 Pound bacon.

3/4 cup sugar.

2 Teaspoons celery seed.

1/2 Teaspoon pepper.

1 cup vinegar.

12 cups potatoes, cooked & diced.

Parsley

2 Medium onions, chopped.

1 Tablespoon salt.

1/2 cup water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only I don't know how many serves you get out of this recipe, I'll look into that tonight when I start cooking

I love potato salad. I will definitely try this one. I will use kiffler potatoes I think. What do others think?

24 is pretty accurate. I cooked for 10 persons split the amounts in half and there is nothing left.

I like pink fir apple potatoes for salad when I can get them. I intend growing some next year.

I have never heard of those type of potatoes. They definitely not in any supermarket of my corner of the world. I might be able to find them at a large vegetable market close to me. Will be interesting to investigate. :)

in america they're often referred to as a type of fingerling. little, long, bumpy redskin fingerlings.

i bought a bunch of mixed fingerlings recently and the name on the bag was weird enough to remember.

I used to make a German potato hotdish (okay, for those not from MN, a casserole) with a white sauce made with bacon fat instead of butter that I'd bake it in the oven like scalloped potatoes. I would sprinkle the vinegar on the potatoes when they were cooling (but never used 1 cup!) Hmmmmm...might have to resurrect that, add a bit of horseradish to the white sauce to give it another dimension...

This is our family favorite.
German Potato Salad
3 lbs or about 9 medium potatoes ( skin on or off works well both ways - I like the skins on )
cook until done, then slice into chunks or 1/4" slices and set aside
In a small bowl or a 2 cup mearure cup mix together and set a side
4 tbl flour
4 tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
Pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup water
2/3 cup cider vinegar
In a saute pan, saute
6 slices of bacon cut into medium size pieces, saute till almost crisp remove and set aside
add to pan and saute till softened
1 medium onion diced
1 large stalk of celery diced oor thinly sliced
add in vinegar mixture and stir until thicken
add in cooked potatoes.
This is good served hot or cold.

Authentic German potato salad

This is the recipe my grandma uses to make an authentic german (fränkischen) potato salad - I hope you like it!

Preparation time: 1h, for 12 people

What do you need:

1.2 kg waxy potatoes
1 heaped tablespoon of beef stock
¼ liter hot water
1 small onion
8 tablespoons vinegar
6 tablespoons oil
Salt, white pepper, sugar
125g Cornsalat

Cook, peel and shred the boiled potatoes.
Dice onion into small pieces and mix with the potatoes.
Now dissolve 1 tablespoon of beef stock in ¼ liter of hot water and add 8 tablespoons of vinegar together with salt, white pepper and sugar and pour over the potatoes.
Mix everything carefully and let the potatoes soak up the sauce.
Just before serving, add the oil and toss again together with the corn salad.

Careful how you use the term "authentic". There are probably as many recipes for German potato salad as there are Omas.;)

125g Cornsalat
In case anyone is wondering, this is what's more commonly known as "lamb's lettuce" or "lamb's tongue" and is a somewhat bitter, leafy green. It can be found in parts of Europe, but is not easy to find in the US.

close-view-of-lambs-lettuce.jpg

Back
Top Bottom