Granny's Cucumber Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Granny's Cucumber Salad

2 medium Cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1 cup white vinegar (I prefer Cider Vinegar)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon dried dill, or to taste
DIRECTIONS:
Combine cucumbers and onion in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, water and sugar to a
saucepan and cook over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber
and onions. Stir in dill, cover, and chill at least 1 hour.

img_1098352_0_afd6ca73b0d0578ed7b27e6db653c81b.jpg

This one looks good too. Try rice vinegar and a minced jalapeno next time in place of the cider vinegar and dill.

That will make it into a Thai cucumber salad almost exactly like one I make (I add fish sauce too). It's refreshing.

This is the recipe I use. Cider vinegar seems the best, Made some this week. I put in @ a tsp of lightly toasted coriander seeds. Sometimes I put in sliced kohlrabi, jicama, and if you do radishes, it turns the vinegar pink. That's ok if you like Pink. Sometimes I add one or two whole dried chili peppers for color and a little heat.

The sugar doesn't seem to dissolve in vinegar unless it's heated. Don't understand the properties about this, discovered it's a necessary step.

If you don't have a mandolin and want THIN slices, but you do have a "Norwegian" cheese slicer, you can peel the cukes using that and make very thin slices using the cheese slicer.

I use this recipe too. I love cucumber salad, and make it all summer as my cukes come on. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom