"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
omg, mofet! that's a thing of beauty. gotta have anchovies on a greek salad. so many diners in our area leave them out when you order one.
This.

+1

Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
add anchovies and i'm there, taxy.

thyme, not greek oregano?
Never seen it with anchovies. You know, you might be right. It might be oregano.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
omg, mofet! that's a thing of beauty. gotta have anchovies on a greek salad. so many diners in our area leave them out when you order one.
Thank you bucky. Yeah I know thats why I never order a greek salad out any more. Most of them ask what dressing you want also. No I DON'T want creamy Italian or caeser!! I want greek salad dressing and fish!! LOL
Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

yer darn tootin'! a greek salad should only be dressed with wine vinegar and greek olive oil. maybe some garlic and herbs in there, but that's it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. Deba View Post
This recipe is from the original South Beach Diet book, page 137:
Phase 1, one serving:
8 leaves romaine lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces), 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded and sliced), 1 chopped tomato, 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup sliced red onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves.
That sounds like a nice recipe for one.

Usually, during the Summer, I make a big batch of Greek/Mediterranean pasta salad with tri-color rotini (penne or tortellini), sliced cucumbers, chopped red onion, feta cheese, tomatoes (cherry, grape or sun-dried), kalamata olives. Very satisfying on a hot Summer's day.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
We took a day trip to Tarpon Springs, FL and stopped for lunch at an "authentic" Greek restaurant. the Greek salad was served over potato salad. Has anyone ever heard of this? It was kind of strange.
Considering there were no potatoes in Greece before about 500 years ago, serving over potato salad does not sound authentic/traditional to me, although I don't know what the commonly accepted time frame is for what constitutes traditional cuisine. Imagine Thai cuisine without chili peppers...

Quote:
Sure! I'd get the anchovies in a minute! I'll sometimes even get a can of anchovies and eat them on crackers...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
. . . Imagine Thai cuisine without chili peppers...
Chilies have been in Asia for a lot longer than 500 years though, if that's what you are implying. It's kind of funny, a lot of the peppers introduced to Thai cuisine later are not use by Thai people, and they stick to more indigenous/authentic peppers. A lot of the indigenous peppers have origins far west of Thailand, and have been traced to areas of Spain and Portugal, and spread by migrating birds.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Chilies have been in Asia for a lot longer than 500 years though, if that's what you are implying. It's kind of funny, a lot of the peppers introduced to Thai cuisine later are not use by Thai people, and they stick to more indigenous/authentic peppers. A lot of the indigenous peppers have origins far west of Thailand, and have been traced to areas of Spain and Portugal, and spread by migrating birds.
Are you sure chilis have been in Asia from before Columbus? If the indigenous Thai peppers came from Spain and Portugal via migrating birds, then are you saying that Spain and Portugal had chilies a lot longer than 500 years?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
The Dude Abides

yeah, indigenous was the wrong choice of word.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Let's not confuse Piperacea or Pimenta with Capsicum. Capsicum are native to the Americas and were not present in the Old World until after Columbus discovered the Americas (after many people discovered it before him) and began modern trade intercourse between the Old World and the New World. Birds didn't matter you-know-what, it took the power of commercial trade to bring New World Capsicum to Old World cuisines, including chili peppers, potatoes, corn and many other examples we've discussed on the forum time and again.

Thai cuisine is one of my strongest areas of cooking expertise and the peppers they use are Capsicum including my favorite Thai chili peppers. These peppers came from the Americas and were not present in Thai or Asian cooking before that time.

Tags
None