"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 05-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Contest Winner
Talking Grilled romaine.. so yummy!

I've just been introduced to the most amazing new way to make a caesar salad! I was watching Everyday Italian on Food TV and saw Giada grill halves of romaine lettuce, char them slightly, and then turn them into a caesar salad. I had never heard of this or tried it before but it looked interesting.

Then again, on Food TV, I saw chef Michael Smith grill romaine as well. He cut the romaine heads in half lengthwise, brushed on some olive oil, and then coated the cut halves with fresh, finely grated parmasan cheese and then placed it on the grill. It grilled and warmed the lettuce through and also created a cheesy "crust" on the bottoms. It looked so good so I had to try it - of course. It was amazing! (it was good on it's own with a bit of S&P but I guilded the lily with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar... yum!)

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because I had never heard of it before! Anyone else had grilled romaine or have any recipes using this technique?

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
That is good food. I was weary at first, but had it in Naples, with languistines....mmmmm, flavor country. I liked the bitterness too.

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #3
Sous Chef
ARGGG I am still drooling over a shrimp burger and Andouille sausage burger that Emeril fixed on his Burgers and Fries episode. They both looked amazing and I wanted a bite of the shrimp burger sooooo much. I just may end up changing 4th of July menu or at least adding the shrimp burgers to the menu. :)
IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Hi Icy,
I've seen the recipe for the grilled romaine and it looks spectacular. I've been planning to try it, but we've had so many dinner that we had to do , birthdays, confimations, that I haven't had the chance yet..Hopefully this nex wee I can
Thanks for reminding me..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Head Chef
I've never had grilled romaine but had cooked romaine (in a Chinese hot pot, soup) and it's very yummy so I can imagine grilled would be good too. I hope I remember this next time I make a ceasar salad. I would love to try it!
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef
That sounds so good grumblebee. I love romaine.

Icymist, I missed that episode of Emeril last night. I love shrimp, but never had a shrimp burger. Will look that recipe up on foodtv.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Master Chef
I just saw that episode recently too and thought that it sounded odd but most times those things I think are odd truely turn out to be delicious. I'll give it a try.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
Sous Chef
I never would have thought to grill Romain. I love grilled Iceburg on my burgers though. Not to be off-topic, but do you know what someone should try? Deep fried lettuce. Something no one would have thought of, right? I just keep coming up with all these genius food ideas tonight. And I'm sure its been done, because its so obvious, but deep fried carrots. Now THERE is a modern side dish.
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Does grilling change the flavor of the romaine, or is it more of a texture difference? I'd be scared of a limpy, crunchless romaine.
lawchick04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
Location: Currently I am living in Palestine, but I am originally from New York.
Wow... I have never thought about grilling romaine, but I remember when my brother cooked up a dish that needed escarole and we didnt have any and he substituted romaine... I remember liking the white crunchy part of the lettuce but didnt like the green part as much.

selma is offline   Reply With Quote