Help!!! Need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could make a salad for 1.
my guy is fussy. i give him the local delivery place menus. then i make my dinner.

Try creamy dressings, they make the salad taste like heaven.
Try adding toasted bread on top. Love the crunch.
Don't just make a plain salad and don't add all the vegetables.

Try Asian salad where the add noodles.

Maybe you can get him a shot on a V-8 Fusion commercial. Even if he doesn't get the part, you still get to smack him in the head.

I wouldn't push veggies on someone who doesn't like them.....it just encourages that 5-year old childish behaviour.

I would still make a big salad every day though, and place two portions on the table, take my share.....and if he doesn't go for it, say: "oh goody, all the more for me". If he sees you eating vegs with gusto every day, he may one day wonder what he's missing and try some. But I wouldn't make a big deal of it, lest it encourage the inner 5-year old.

Try creamy dressings, they make the salad taste like heaven.
Try adding toasted bread on top. Love the crunch.
Don't just make a plain salad and don't add all the vegetables.

Try Asian salad where the add noodles.

Funny, I don't like any of the creamy dressings. Asian salads are pretty yummy!

I have an issue with husbands who will not even try. The issue is, tough ****. Take out life insurance and let him eat as he wants to. He wants to eat like a 3 year old whose parent indulge him, go for it. Just keep the insurance premiums up. Every time a health issue came up for my husband, I told him that I love to cook, but hate doing math. You do the math, I'll fix what you need. The control (since he loves my cooking) is in his hands. I'll work around it. But I refuse to be his jail-keeper, or turn cooking into a daily problem. A math problem at that.

I used to hate salads too.

I'd disguise the salad by adding some meat to it. Try adding lots of grilled chicken strips.
Also add things other than vegetables. These are my favorite:
-Cranberries. Make almost every salad tastier
-Nuts. I like walnuts. They give a nice flavour.
-Seeds. They give the salad some crunch.

Try it. If he won't eat it, he's a hopeless cause.

I have an issue with husbands who will not even try. The issue is, tough ****. Take out life insurance and let him eat as he wants to. He wants to eat like a 3 year old whose parent indulge him, go for it. Just keep the insurance premiums up. Every time a health issue came up for my husband, I told him that I love to cook, but hate doing math. You do the math, I'll fix what you need. The control (since he loves my cooking) is in his hands. I'll work around it. But I refuse to be his jail-keeper, or turn cooking into a daily problem. A math problem at that.

When my girlfriend's husband was first diagnosed, he was checking his sugar constantly. Drove her crazy. She is a lawyer and he is disabled plumber. He does all the cooking. So for about a month he did good. Then he got bored with all of it and ran out of strips. His wife said they were too expensive to buy and she couldn't afford them. He hasn't checked his sugar levels in over a year. And he is right back to all of his bad habits. Including a can of beer in his hand all day long, every day. She doesn't seem to care. I expect to hear that she has been diagnosed also. These two folks are a disaster waiting to happen. They are in for a shock when they both end up in the ER. :angel:

Anyone have recipes for hiding veggies in food?

Yes. Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a book about fooling children into eating vegetables by hiding them in food.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Megan, but seriously - leave your husband alone. When he finds out you're trying to deceive him into eating the way you think he should, it will not be a good situation. People here have given you plenty of ideas. If they're not working, just accept that your husband is fine the way he is. If you can't, then do some soul-searching as to why it's a problem for you.

I guess I'm lucky. My husband took his diabetes seriously rather than make me the the bad guy. I have a set of measuring cups (1/2 for breakfast and lunch, a full cup for supper). Whenever I buy snack food for him I razor out the nutrition count and tape it to the inside of a cabinet door, at eye level. The thing is, it is not my problem. It is his. I've always cooked in a nutritious way (the way Mom taught me), portion control is up to him. i have shaky hands (an inherited problem) an no one in their right mind would want me administering a shot. Makes for inspiration. It probably helps that we got married later in life, after having starter marriages. He just doesn't expect me to be his mommy.

Oh? Simple answer? Have you made nege maki? Everyone loves it. I add a sliver of carrot to the green onion for some color. Whenever I make it, it is a hit. Also chop mushrooms very finely and add to ground meat in almost anything.

But I still say, pay the premiums on his life insurance (which is good advice for anyone).

Give up on trying to get the salad in him I been trying for 30 years. My hubbie will eat 2 forks full I mean it really I have to make him a salad when he wants one that only contains 2 fork fulls of lettuce and of course he put about 1/4 cup of salad dresing it. I never make one for him until he request it . His only veggie he will eat is corn, But he will eat carrots and peas when i make a beef stew. Thats after he mashes everything up. Green peppers on a pizza once and awhile.
My oldest grandson doesn't eat but loves zucchini bread, so he get alot of that and sometimes i put in shreddred carrots. It passes.

So just give up - You just can't win with bullheaded people ( AKA my Hubbie ) But sometimes When I am eating my salad he will ask what dressing is that and want to taste it taking his normal 2 forks full. So like a kid stop giving it to them and then they think they are getting left out and want. Oh my hubbie does like colslaw so I make that for him alot.

My kids luckily eat most veggies and fruit. Hubby is not fond of them but he's too lazy to cook anything so he just eats what's on his plate. He complains sometimes but if I say he's welcome to go make something else, he just groans and eats what he gets.
I don't have to sneak veg into food but I do sometimes just to increase our intake of fresh produce. It's hard to get your 5 a day sometimes.

No we talked about it and he said he would try food with veggies in them. I brought up the idea of hidding them and he was very happy with that idea. I got him to eat lentil soup with celery and carrots in it and he liked it! We are both trying to lose weight, I want to lose 40-50 and he wants to lose 20.

Good deal Megan! I would just puree the veggies and add them into everything, like gravies, casseroles, stews. Some veggies will just cook away and you won't even notice them.

No we talked about it and he said he would try food with veggies in them. I brought up the idea of hiding them and he was very happy with that idea. I got him to eat lentil soup with celery and carrots in it and he liked it! We are both trying to lose weight, I want to lose 40-50 and he wants to lose 20.

Well, that's a horse of a different color! ;) The sauce for one of my favorite pot roast recipes consists of pureeing the cooked veggies and liquid after the meat is done. So just cook veggies that go with the meat dish you're making and puree them into a sauce.

Oh yes, much easier if Hubby is in agreement! Puree away! Meatloaf can take a lot of veggies, and whole olives are good baked into it as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom