Help!!! Need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda reminds me of a song...

1rst voice - "If I had a million dollars"
2nd voice - "If I had a million dollars"
1rst voice - "I'd buy you a green dress"
2nd voice - "But not a real green dress, that's cruel"
Lyrics written and sung by "Bare Naked Ladies"
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yes, "The Ladies", Canada's pride and joy (no really). Too bad they broke up. This is one of their best!

I agree with so many of the others. His antics of making faces and pouting even in front of company is both ridiculous and childish, but he's not your child. Sadly it sounds like he has some growing up to do, but it's not your job to raise him properly. Ignore the situation and eat the way you choose. He's a big boy so let him prepare his own meals. He's feeding off the attention he gets, just like a child.

Last edited:
Yes I am on the same page as most of you. My Dad was a meat and potatoes guy but my Mom would always put a token. Amount of vegetables on his plate and he would eat them. He tried to get out of it when he moved here. But I just told him Mom made all of us eat "five bites" of what we didn't like and the same rule applies here. 'nuff said!

Withhold his allowance. Send him to his room. Cut back on his television privledges. Give him a time out. Take away his toys.

Then tell him when he stops acting like a child, you will stop treating him like one.

Hard to believe there are three pages here. My hubby doesn't eat salad or veggies or anything green. His doctor said to eat more salads. He told the doctor that he didn't like salad, and the doctor told him to try a new dressing. :ROFLMAO:
Hubby had to explain to the doctor that it wasn't about the dressing, but about the veggies. Anyway, the conversation then changed to other ways to improve his health like exercise, eating more fiber (things other than veggies), and how to ask me to use the blender and put puréed veggies into things I cook for him. It has worked well for us. I never tell hubby what to eat. He is a big boy.:angel:

Hard to believe there are three pages here. My hubby doesn't eat salad or veggies or anything green. His doctor said to eat more salads. He told the doctor that he didn't like salad, and the doctor told him to try a new dressing. :ROFLMAO:
Hubby had to explain to the doctor that it wasn't about the dressing, but about the veggies. Anyway, the conversation then changed to other ways to improve his health like exercise, eating more fiber (things other than veggies), and how to ask me to use the blender and put puréed veggies into things I cook for him. It has worked well for us. I never tell hubby what to eat. He is a big boy.:angel:

thanks for this, chopper. everyone is so quick to offer condemnations based on a simple question asking for help. maybe the guy is the greatest guy on earth in all other ways (ok, third behind me and chief longwind), but is childish about eating what food eats.

we sbould try to be helpful with our culinary expertise, not judgemental on his behaviour.

Last edited:
thanks for this, chopper. everyone is so quick to offer condemnations based on a simple question asking for help. maybe the guy is the greatest guy on earth in all other ways (ok, third behind me and chief longwind), but is childish about eating what food eats.

we sbould try to be helpful with our culinary expertise, not judgemental on his behaviour.
I totally agree. I think it is all how you look at things though. It is important to get healthy things into a person but not to brow beat them into it.

The whole "five bite" thing in my family actually became a good thing. I would quickly eat my five bites of pork chop (love them now) so I wouldn't taste much and I could then get another huge helping of veggies. At the same time, my Dad would eat his five bites of veggies so he could get another pork chop! ;) And when I brought it up when he moved here, it was like Mom was in the room for both of us and a great memory.

I think it is all in the way you handle things.

You can play with him a very beautiful game is the arcade game and if he loses eats green salad with you ..lol

If he will eat stir fry, you can make a simple stir fry and lay it on a bed of shredded raw cabbage or shredded raw baby spinach. It isn't salad but it is a way for him to eat better and still have meat in his diet. and It taste great!

The man is an adult. If he doesn't wish to change his eating habits after his doctor has recommended he do so or you have tried to include more veggies, well, that is his choice. I would probably have a conversation with him trying to find out why he won't eat veggies or why he won't try veggies. I would not engage in arguments, games, bribes, or any other ploys. Ir you are the meal planner and grocery shopper, you could try going "no meat" a couple of nights a week. If he doesn't like what you make, he could always make his own meal.

I was making lunch for kids today and made salad, had to eat it too. had set the example. Bay greens are not bad, especially wit air loom tomatoes end English cuces and harts of palm + dressing.

I think because you love and care for your husband and you want him to be healthy....your best option is just to sneak stuff in his foods that wont alter the flavor in a major way. (greens in lasagna is an easy one). Some people just do not like certain foods, for instance, I dont care how healthy someone might say sauerkraut is, I probably make a childish face when it's stuck in front of me! best of luck! :)

Jerry Seinfeld's wife has some great cookbooks and recipes for sneaking veggies into kids' meals. I've seen her on various talk shows, and her recipes sound decent. http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-ebook/dp/B000UZNREG/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

That said, I have to agree with others, your DH is an adult, and as such has a right to eat whatever he wants. If what you cooked and served isn't what he wants, then he has the right to find something else.

Last edited:
I've been married forever and eat all the salad and greens I want. I let my husband choose whatever he wants to have on his plate and rarely is it a salad or something green. Leave the guy alone.

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make it drink.

There are foods I won't eat (bananas come to mind immediately). If my doctor told me to eat a banana / day, I'd flat out not do it. No one would be able to trick me into eating raw bananas (I can do banana bread). Bananas make me retch. I know bananas are a great source of potassium--but there's no way bananas are ever going to be part of my daily diet unless my sense of smell, taste, and perception of texture change.

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make it drink.

There are foods I won't eat (bananas come to mind immediately). If my doctor told me to eat a banana / day, I'd flat out not do it. No one would be able to trick me into eating raw bananas (I can do banana bread). Bananas make me retch. I know bananas are a great source of potassium--but there's no way bananas are ever going to be part of my daily diet unless my sense of smell, taste, and perception of texture change.

+1

I wouldn't touch a banana with a ten foot pole:LOL:

I say let the man make his own choices. Make salad for the table and let him decide if he wants to have some.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom