Hit me with your best macaroni salad recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caesar Pasta Salad

6 slices Bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled
1/2 c Extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices Italian bread, 1/2-in thick
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon rind, grated
1/4 c Lemon juice
3 Garlic cloves, minced
6 Anchovy fillets
1/2 c Parmesan, freshly grated
12 oz Pasta, cooked al dente, drained (macaroni, penne, rotini, etc), reserve 1/2 c of cooking water
2 c Romaine, coarsely shredded

1.Brush 2 tb of the oil over both sides of bread. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and toss with salt and pepper. Toast on baking sheet in oven for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside.
2.In food processor, puree lemon rind and juice, garlic, anchovies and salt and pepper. Drizzle in remaining olive oil. Blend in half of the cheese.
3.Toss pasta with garlic mixture and enough of the cooking water to moisten. Toss with croutons, bacon and romaine; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

This will be the next one I'll make. So many of my favorite things in one bowl!

Kansasgirl had a lot of great recipes in her relatively small number of posts. I've made several.

Wish she was still here!

Lee

Pasta Salad Ala Dave

This is a variation of a dish I ate at Johnny’s Vet’s Club many years ago and old key club turned legit that enjoyed many years of good business and served the best steaks in town.
It was put out of business by the flood of 93 and was never rebuilt

The Recipe

Cook as much spaghetti as you want for the servings you want. I normally use thick spaghetti after cooked rinse very well. Then add chopped green olives chopped black olives, as small jar of chopped pimentos. Then take a whole bulb of fresh garlic separate and peel all of the cloves, mince in salt (preferably Kosher) but any will do toss the whole works into the bowl of spaghetti. Then chop a bunch of green onions top to bottom.
Then add enough olive oil to moisten and white vinegar to taste then add fresh ground black pepper to taste a sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes, some Greek leaf oregano
And some fresh ground Fennel seed (do not omit) then I add some fine diced green pepper
Some sliced pepperoni, a minced jalapeno pepper (optional) adds some pepperoni, Italian salami diced. Last some good quality grated parmesan cheese. Toss very well make sure product is well distributed. Cover and let stand in refrigerator over night for flavor to meld
Serve with breath mints as the vapor will knock a buzzard off a ****** wagon at 100 yards

Small dice of ham, beef stick, cooked Italian sausage,.
Also you can add small dice of cheddar cheese

If you do not have GOOD olive oil use a good quality Italian dressing or Kraft Geek salad dressing and omit the vinegar

Holy moley, Dave - that sounds spectacular!

Antipasto Pasta Salad! Is that an oxymoron? ;)

Lee

Here is my list
1 lb. Elbow macaroni cooked
½ cup mayonnaise +
3 tbsp. milk +
2 tbsp. vinegar +
½ tsp. sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
6 hard boiled eggs diced
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced onion
1 large cucumber cut out seeds and dice (I sometime like to peel and julliane the peels)
2 large tomatoes diced
2 Bell peppers (red & green)
1 lb. Bacon (cook then diced)
All the places I have a + I use to remind me to add I little more if it comes out a little dry because of the tomatoes consitency. If the tomatoes are on the ripe side (more moist) I leave the recipe alone, but if the are firm I will add a little extra to keep it moist.If you like you can substitue 1/2 pound of shaved ham diced for the bacon. This can be used as a side, but my DW sometimes like to eat a bowl by itself.

Here's one that's a bit different. It's very common in Costa Rica, where I live.

Ensalada de Caracoles (Pasta Shell Salad):

1 pkg small pasta shells
1 can tuna, optional
Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper
Fresh cilantro

Cook pasta shells in salted water. Rinse and chill in ice water. Drain. Add one can tuna, drained. Add mayonnaise to moisten - 2 or 3 tablespoons, or to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a handful of chopped fresh cilantro. Mix it all together and chill.

This is a simple and delicious salad that most Americans will never have eaten before. You'll get plenty of complements on it. You can omit the tuna. It's made as often without it as with it.

Here's mine:

2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 of a green pepper, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, shredded
1 cup of mayonaise
1 tablespoon of Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Paprika for sprinkling on top (optional)

Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the paprika. make sure it is mixed up really well. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.

macaroni-salad-2.jpg

I've always loved this salad when I get Hawaiin food, its called potato salad but it has pasta in it....I love the combo of the two!!

Hawaiian Potato Salad
4-5 large potatoes
1 cup shell macaroni-dry
1-2 carrots chopped
2 celery stalks-chopped
2-3 pickles to taste-chopped
1 cup peas
2 stalks green onion-chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Zesty Italian dressing
2 T. pickle juice (or less) Boil potatoes until tender. Cool and cut into cubes. Cook macaroni per package directions. Toss with remaining ingredients. Add dressing.

Grew up eating this recipe it's pretty similar to most I have seen here but I'll post it anyway.

One meduim package of elbow macaroni
3 small eggs hard boiled and chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 can of black olives chopped or halved
1 large pickle chopped
5-6 slices of cooked center cut bacon chopped
mayo
mayonaise
garlic powder
salt
pepper
paprika

Cook the elbow mac accourding to label, drain and set aside to cool. Add all the chopped veggies and bacon into a large mixing bowl with the mac. Add enough mayo and mustard to coat the pasta to your liking. Toss the egg in last and fold in. Season with salt and pepper (I like a ton of pepper in this salad) when done sprinkle a little paprika all over the top before serving. Set in fridge so flavors can distribute.

Last edited:
Here's one that's a bit different. It's very common in Costa Rica, where I live.

Ensalada de Caracoles (Pasta Shell Salad):

1 pkg small pasta shells
1 can tuna, optional
Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper
Fresh cilantro

Cook pasta shells in salted water. Rinse and chill in ice water. Drain. Add one can tuna, drained. Add mayonnaise to moisten - 2 or 3 tablespoons, or to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a handful of chopped fresh cilantro. Mix it all together and chill.

This is a simple and delicious salad that most Americans will never have eaten before. You'll get plenty of complements on it. You can omit the tuna. It's made as often without it as with it.

I have had a similar version made with shrimp that was yummy.

My wife used to make some great macaroni salad. It had celery, red onion, a boiled egg, and sometimes little cubes of cheddar cheese and I'm sure some other things. The thing that made it so good was the mayo/horseradish dressing she would put in it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I'm going to have to make some this weekend.

macaroni
dukes mayo
cucumber
onion
tomato
celery seed
mustard powder
salt
pepper
little bit of lemon juice

Back
Top Bottom