How do you bean salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's bean salad is green beans (frenched--have that cool little tool), black beans, white kidney beans, chick peas, red onion, corn, cucumber, and tomato, dressed with an Asian-style dressing (inspiration was PF's Wasabi Cole Slaw dressing). Yum, it is so good. Just don't know what I'm going to do with the 36 eggs I hard cooked...pickle them, I guess, but there is no room in the fridge!

How do I bean salad? Why, I bean it the same way i used to bean my boys, with a whack on the head, litterally, I whack that lettuce head to remove the core.

Seriously, when I make a 3-bean salad, I like to use green or wax beans, kidney beans, and garbonzo beans (chick peas). I combine them with water, sugar, diced onion, celery seed, and apple cider vinegar, no oil required. I put it all in a large bowl, and into the fridge for a few hours. The flavors blend into this wonderful sweet-and-sour salad that just makes you hungry for more with every bite.

I love beans, but usually don't turn them into salads, except for my 3-bean salad. But this thread has me considering the notion of expanding my bean salad repertoire.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Today's bean salad is green beans (frenched--have that cool little tool), black beans, white kidney beans, chick peas, red onion, corn, cucumber, and tomato, dressed with an Asian-style dressing (inspiration was PF's Wasabi Cole Slaw dressing). Yum, it is so good. Just don't know what I'm going to do with the 36 eggs I hard cooked...pickle them, I guess, but there is no room in the fridge!

If you dice up a bunch of the eggs you can portion them and put them in the freezer, they work well in potato salads, on spinach salad, egg salad. It doesn't take them long to thaw. No obnoxious texture change.

If you dice up a bunch of the eggs you can portion them and put them in the freezer, they work well in potato salads, on spinach salad, egg salad. It doesn't take them long to thaw. No obnoxious texture change.

Did not know that. Great idea, PF!

Thanks--I'm making potato salad for tomorrow. I love hard cooked eggs, but didn't know you could freeze them. Your wasabi dressing for coleslaw works really nice on bean salad, IMO.

Did not know that. Great idea, PF!

Thanks--I'm making potato salad for tomorrow. I love hard cooked eggs, but didn't know you could freeze them. Your wasabi dressing for coleslaw works really nice on bean salad, IMO.

You didn't think they really hard boil eggs, peel and dice them in restaurants...nope they come in frozen. AND the only ingredient was egg...:)

I'm glad you like the wasabi dressing!

Last edited:
I am acquainted with hard cooked eggs coming in a vacuum pack bag (12 per bag), but have not seen them frozen. I've put some in the freezer for "toppings" on salads.

I am acquainted with hard cooked eggs coming in a vacuum pack bag (12 per bag), but have not seen them frozen. I've put some in the freezer for "toppings" on salads.

Of course, I have to remember that the last time I worked in food service was over 13 years ago. My how time flies...sometimes I miss working with food.

I can't stomach canned tuna. But, for those who can, that might be a nice addition. I did add some lemon zest when I added the chick peas.
I don't like tuna much either but I recently had it in a sandwich with wasabi and pickled ginger and I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps this combination would work with a bean salad.

[FONT=&quot]Company Picnic Bean Salad[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 (16-oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 (15-oz) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes with Jalapeno's, drained[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1 1/2 c. frozen peas[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1 1/2 c. frozen corn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 c. chopped sweet onion[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2/3 c. chopped red pepper[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2/3 c. chopped yellow pepper[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2/3 c. red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 TBL balsamic vinegar[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 garlic cloves, minced[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1/2 tsp. thyme[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp salt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 tsp white pepper[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 TBL dried red pepper flakes [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In a separate, small bowl, combine the last 8 ingredients, whisking until well blended. Pour over bean mixture, tossing gently to coat.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours before serving.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

You didn't think they really hard boil eggs, peel and dice them in restaurants...nope they come in frozen. AND the only ingredient was egg...:)

I'm glad you like the wasabi dressing!

Shhhh. My husband, the one who doesn't eat leftovers, thinks that restaurants cook everything fresh when he orders it. LOL I don't want him to know, because they I will have to cook, every night!

Shhhh. My husband, the one who doesn't eat leftovers, thinks that restaurants cook everything fresh when he orders it. LOL I don't want him to know, because they I will have to cook, every night!

Well, I promise not to tell him...:D

The name of this thread reminds me of a sort-of-Spanish question I once heard: Como esta frijole? -- How have you bean? ;)

I totaly forgot another salad with beans:ohmy:, taco salad!:yum:

Make your favorite tossed salad with lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, celery, onion, and carrots. Brown a pound of ground beef, seasoned with salt, peppers, cumin, and chili powder to taste. Drain and chill in the fridge. Grate 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese. Add ground beef to the salad, tossing to distribute the meat. Drain and rince 15 oz. can of kidney beans and mix into the salad. Fold in the grated cheese. Top with crushed tortilla chips and modified Russian salad dressing, or whatever salad dressing you love.

Modified Russian Dressing - I cheat here. I use store-bought salad dressing as the base. Empty 1 bottle of your favorite Russian salad dressing into a bowl. Mix in 1 tbs. chili powder. Put back into the original container (with a funnel) and let sit for a half hour. Enjoy.

I totaly forgot another salad with beans:ohmy:, taco salad!:yum:

Make your favorite tossed salad with lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, celery, onion, and carrots. Brown a pound of ground beef, seasoned with salt, peppers, cumin, and chili powder to taste. Drain and chill in the fridge. Grate 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese. Add ground beef to the salad, tossing to distribute the meat. Drain and rince 15 oz. can of kidney beans and mix into the salad. Fold in the grated cheese. Top with crushed tortilla chips and modified Russian salad dressing, or whatever salad dressing you love.

Modified Russian Dressing - I cheat here. I use store-bought salad dressing as the base. Empty 1 bottle of your favorite Russian salad dressing into a bowl. Mix in 1 tbs. chili powder. Put back into the original container (with a funnel) and let sit for a half hour. Enjoy.

When we have leftover chili I save it til the next day and it becomes a taco salad.

The best bean salad ever

You need to add different staff so that people can be interested in eating your bean salad. You can add on some green peppers,carrots that are finely chopped and some tomatoes and see how it taste.:yum:

My husband is no cook but he likes a bean salad that he calls weight watchers salad. He combines green beans, wax beans, and kidney beans in a bowl with chopped onion and a bottle of low Cal Italian salad dressing. He lets it marinate in the fridge overnight. He seems to enjoy it.

Oh---next summer! I brought seeds back from MN (figured if it could grow in MN, it could grow here...) the plants just don't take off. There are blossoms on them now, but I'm not convinced there is enough time to get the fruit to set before the frost.

You can bring back seeds across the border into Canada? I have always been under the impression that you can't bring them into the U.S. and would think the same rule applies in reverse. Or is this a 'if you don't tell, I won't tell'. I just know if I tried to bring something, anything, across I would get caught. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom