How do you bean salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can bring back seeds across the border into Canada? I have always been under the impression that you can't bring them into the U.S. and would think the same rule applies in reverse. Or is this a 'if you don't tell, I won't tell'. I just know if I tried to bring something, anything, across I would get caught. :angel:
We can't bring plants across. If I'm not asked, I don't volunteer that I have seeds...thankfully, when driving across, the question about being on a farm in the past 14 days or going to be on a farm is not asked...I always wonder how those who are full-time, "grown-up" farmers answer that question. The DH always washes the soles of his boots before flying to make sure there isn't chicken poo on them--the sniffer dogs always give him an extra sniff or two (we like to think it is the dogs the sniffer dogs smell on him and not the chickens). Methinks that the sniffer dogs are not trained to signal "chicken poo" findings.

Last edited:
My husband is no cook but he likes a bean salad that he calls weight watchers salad. He combines green beans, wax beans, and kidney beans in a bowl with chopped onion and a bottle of low Cal Italian salad dressing. He lets it marinate in the fridge overnight. He seems to enjoy it.

I'm going to try that.

We can't bring plants across. If I'm not asked, I don't volunteer that I have seeds...thankfully, when driving across, the question about being on a farm in the past 14 days or going to be on a farm is not asked...I always wonder how those who are full-time, "grown-up" farmers answer that question. The DH always washes the soles of his boots before flying to make sure there isn't chicken poo on them--the sniffer dogs always give him an extra sniff or two (we like to think it is the dogs the sniffer dogs smell on him and not the chickens). Methinks that the sniffer dogs are not trained to signal "chicken poo" findings.

I won't tell.

Just tell hubby not to wear his coveralls. That is a dead giveaway. :angel:

Bumping this. I know, bean salad is "out of season," however, I have to be on my client's site tomorrow for the better part of the day. I get grouchy (and can't focus) if I'm hungry. I don't know if they have an employee lunchroom or not, so have to bring something that will hold without refrigeration. I cooked a big pot of beans today--chickpeas, black-eyed peas, lima beans, white and red kidney beans, romano beans. I added fresh red sweet pepper and some grilled red sweet pepper, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, celery (including the leaves), julienned carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, garlic, green onion, pickled artichokes, kalamata olives, feta cheese, 1/2 jar of chopped Rosemary and lemon pickled green beans, some of the artichoke "oil" and pickled bean juice...fresh tarragon, mint, greek oregano. Tossed with meyer lemon olive oil and EVOO plus the juice of 1 meyer lemon and 1/2 "regular" lemon, topped with lemon zest. P&Mediterranean Sea Salt blend to taste. I have fresh tomato and Romaine lettuce to add to my salad tomorrow. I wanted fresh spinach, but the store was out...It is really tasty. I've never done a "Greek-influenced" bean salad before. One could add tuna, leftover cooked chicken breast, etc. to give it more protein.

Last edited:
CWS...bean salad is never "out of season" here! :yum: Thank you for bringing this back up, it reminded me to make some again. It's been a while. The bean salad I make is nowhere near as fancy as yours, and it's rarely exactly the same twice. But it's yummy!

I use canned (and drained) green, wax, garbanzo, and kidney beans, and mix with chopped red bell peppers, onions, celery, and sometimes I'll add some chopped hard cooked egg, and mix with a vinaigrette dressing. Love it. Need to make some soon. :)

CWS...bean salad is never "out of season" here! :yum: Thank you for bringing this back up, it reminded me to make some again. It's been a while. The bean salad I make is nowhere near as fancy as yours, and it's rarely exactly the same twice. But it's yummy!

I use canned (and drained) green, wax, garbanzo, and kidney beans, and mix with chopped red bell peppers, onions, celery, and sometimes I'll add some chopped hard cooked egg, and mix with a vinaigrette dressing. Love it. Need to make some soon. :)
LOL! Fancy--I was just pulling things out of the fridge and cupboard--wanted some crunch, wanted some "Greek" influence...I so love garbanzo beans in anything!

Thanks for bumping this thread, I agree bean salad is never out of season!

This winter I have been cooking a lot of "fresh" green beans that have made the long trip from Florida, Texas, Mexico and boy do they look tired! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I eat them as a hot vegetable on day one then I add a simple dressing of garlic, oregano, S&P, olive oil, wine vinegar or lemon juice to the leftovers before I put them into the refrigerator for a salad on day two. I serve it with a hard boiled egg for a quick lunch.

This is also nice if you cook the green beans with some tiny red potatoes, drain, add the dressing, and some sliced onion for a warm potato salad!

Aunt Bea, that's a great idea, to use the leftover cooked green beans in a salad. I don't usually buy green beans because Stirling doesn't like them. But, he doesn't mind a few in a bean salad, so I could just add other beans to the leftover cooked green beans (that only got served to me).

Aunt Bea, that's a great idea, to use the leftover cooked green beans in a salad. I don't usually buy green beans because Stirling doesn't like them. But, he doesn't mind a few in a bean salad, so I could just add other beans to the leftover cooked green beans (that only got served to me).

I do that with different kinds of leftovers, broccoli, carrots, peas etc...

It's funny I would not have eaten marinated leftover vegetables years ago, now I look forward to them.

I have sooooo many beans in the garden, I've been making a bean salad each week. I generally put wax, green, another kind of bean or garbanzo beans, red onion, some red pepper flakes, and then dress with EVOO, white wine vinegar, S&P, and my friend's homemade curry powder. Sometimes I add feta, other times bacon crumbles. sometimes I skip the curry powder and use anchovie paste. How do you make your bean salad?
With canned beans..... Oh dear, now I feel very inadequate! I do intend starting a veg garden when I get the inside of the house sorted out,

Why do I think I'll still be saying that on my 100th birthday?

Just noticed this thread because you floated it up to the top again CW, and I couldn't help but notice this from an entry on page 1:

...I keep hoping to grow cantaloupe...no such luck, yet.

I remember reading a hint decades ago that claimed to help with both ripening 'lopes and also preventing rot from sitting on the ground. You put each one on a a pedestal! :LOL: Actually, you use a metal coffee can - which, these days, is a rarity. I would think any wide-based can would work. When the melon is about fist-sized, bury the can open end down and balance the melon on the flat surface above ground. The can magnifies the warmth the melon gets so it grows/ripens a bit quicker. If you can find the melons with the shortest growing time you might be able to pull this off? Good luck, if you try it. I never did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom