"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You can bring back seeds across the border into Canada? I have always been under the impression that you can't bring them into the U.S. and would think the same rule applies in reverse. Or is this a 'if you don't tell, I won't tell'. I just know if I tried to bring something, anything, across I would get caught.
We can't bring plants across. If I'm not asked, I don't volunteer that I have seeds...thankfully, when driving across, the question about being on a farm in the past 14 days or going to be on a farm is not asked...I always wonder how those who are full-time, "grown-up" farmers answer that question. The DH always washes the soles of his boots before flying to make sure there isn't chicken poo on them--the sniffer dogs always give him an extra sniff or two (we like to think it is the dogs the sniffer dogs smell on him and not the chickens). Methinks that the sniffer dogs are not trained to signal "chicken poo" findings.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
My husband is no cook but he likes a bean salad that he calls weight watchers salad. He combines green beans, wax beans, and kidney beans in a bowl with chopped onion and a bottle of low Cal Italian salad dressing. He lets it marinate in the fridge overnight. He seems to enjoy it.

I'm going to try that.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I'm going to try that.
That's a very basic 3-bean salad. Works for me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We can't bring plants across. If I'm not asked, I don't volunteer that I have seeds...thankfully, when driving across, the question about being on a farm in the past 14 days or going to be on a farm is not asked...I always wonder how those who are full-time, "grown-up" farmers answer that question. The DH always washes the soles of his boots before flying to make sure there isn't chicken poo on them--the sniffer dogs always give him an extra sniff or two (we like to think it is the dogs the sniffer dogs smell on him and not the chickens). Methinks that the sniffer dogs are not trained to signal "chicken poo" findings.
I won't tell.

Just tell hubby not to wear his coveralls. That is a dead giveaway.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Bumping this. I know, bean salad is "out of season," however, I have to be on my client's site tomorrow for the better part of the day. I get grouchy (and can't focus) if I'm hungry. I don't know if they have an employee lunchroom or not, so have to bring something that will hold without refrigeration. I cooked a big pot of beans today--chickpeas, black-eyed peas, lima beans, white and red kidney beans, romano beans. I added fresh red sweet pepper and some grilled red sweet pepper, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, celery (including the leaves), julienned carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, garlic, green onion, pickled artichokes, kalamata olives, feta cheese, 1/2 jar of chopped Rosemary and lemon pickled green beans, some of the artichoke "oil" and pickled bean juice...fresh tarragon, mint, greek oregano. Tossed with meyer lemon olive oil and EVOO plus the juice of 1 meyer lemon and 1/2 "regular" lemon, topped with lemon zest. P&Mediterranean Sea Salt blend to taste. I have fresh tomato and Romaine lettuce to add to my salad tomorrow. I wanted fresh spinach, but the store was out...It is really tasty. I've never done a "Greek-influenced" bean salad before. One could add tuna, leftover cooked chicken breast, etc. to give it more protein.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #46
Master Chef

CWS...bean salad is never "out of season" here! Thank you for bringing this back up, it reminded me to make some again. It's been a while. The bean salad I make is nowhere near as fancy as yours, and it's rarely exactly the same twice. But it's yummy!

I use canned (and drained) green, wax, garbanzo, and kidney beans, and mix with chopped red bell peppers, onions, celery, and sometimes I'll add some chopped hard cooked egg, and mix with a vinaigrette dressing. Love it. Need to make some soon.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
CWS...bean salad is never "out of season" here! Thank you for bringing this back up, it reminded me to make some again. It's been a while. The bean salad I make is nowhere near as fancy as yours, and it's rarely exactly the same twice. But it's yummy!

I use canned (and drained) green, wax, garbanzo, and kidney beans, and mix with chopped red bell peppers, onions, celery, and sometimes I'll add some chopped hard cooked egg, and mix with a vinaigrette dressing. Love it. Need to make some soon.
LOL! Fancy--I was just pulling things out of the fridge and cupboard--wanted some crunch, wanted some "Greek" influence...I so love garbanzo beans in anything!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #48
Master Chef

Thanks for bumping this thread, I agree bean salad is never out of season!

This winter I have been cooking a lot of "fresh" green beans that have made the long trip from Florida, Texas, Mexico and boy do they look tired!

I eat them as a hot vegetable on day one then I add a simple dressing of garlic, oregano, S&P, olive oil, wine vinegar or lemon juice to the leftovers before I put them into the refrigerator for a salad on day two. I serve it with a hard boiled egg for a quick lunch.

This is also nice if you cook the green beans with some tiny red potatoes, drain, add the dressing, and some sliced onion for a warm potato salad!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Aunt Bea, that's a great idea, to use the leftover cooked green beans in a salad. I don't usually buy green beans because Stirling doesn't like them. But, he doesn't mind a few in a bean salad, so I could just add other beans to the leftover cooked green beans (that only got served to me).
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Aunt Bea, that's a great idea, to use the leftover cooked green beans in a salad. I don't usually buy green beans because Stirling doesn't like them. But, he doesn't mind a few in a bean salad, so I could just add other beans to the leftover cooked green beans (that only got served to me).
I do that with different kinds of leftovers, broccoli, carrots, peas etc...

It's funny I would not have eaten marinated leftover vegetables years ago, now I look forward to them.

Tags
salad