How do you bean salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have sooooo many beans in the garden, I've been making a bean salad each week. I generally put wax, green, another kind of bean or garbanzo beans, red onion, some red pepper flakes, and then dress with EVOO, white wine vinegar, S&P, and my friend's homemade curry powder. Sometimes I add feta, other times bacon crumbles. sometimes I skip the curry powder and use anchovie paste. How do you make your bean salad?

I have sooooo many beans in the garden, I've been making a bean salad each week. I generally put wax, green, another kind of bean or garbanzo beans, red onion, some red pepper flakes, and then dress with EVOO, white wine vinegar, S&P, and my friend's homemade curry powder. Sometimes I add feta, other times bacon crumbles. sometimes I skip the curry powder and use anchovie paste. How do you make your bean salad?
Sounds good. Being a minimalist (lazy) I just use green string beans, cubed boiled potato, onion, EVOO, cider vinegar, bean cooking water, and some basil pesto.

Last edited:
Pesto--that I have! Never added potatoes but was thinking of adding some sweet corn...
Green beans can be fairly sweet when they're cooked promptly after picking.
Starch from potatoes gives the dressing a little body.
We add the dressing while the beans and potatoes are still quite warm.

Last edited:
Mediterranean Bean Lunch Dishes

:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning CWS,

Here are some ideas:

1. Fresh Skordalia Bean Dip ( usually made with Fava Beans ); skordalia can be made with potatoes, beetroot and beans of any kind

2. Hummus ( chick pea sesame tahine ) - Ethnic Section - Margi

3. Falafel ( chick pea mini vegetarian burgers - Appetiser Section - Margi

4. Bill´s Genovese Pesto with Green beans & Potato can also be served with a thick ribbon length pasta like Fettuccini instead of the potatoes

5. Chick pea Greek Salad; cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, vinaigrette of choice, black olives, feta cheese, cucumber and toasted Pita with Tzatziki on side ...

Ciao,
Have lovely wkend,
Margaux Cintrano.

:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning CWS,

Here are some ideas:

1. Fresh Skordalia Bean Dip ( usually made with Fava Beans ); skordalia can be made with potatoes, beetroot and beans of any kind

2. Hummus ( chick pea sesame tahine ) - Ethnic Section - Margi

3. Falafel ( chick pea mini vegetarian burgers - Appetiser Section - Margi

4. Bill´s Genovese Pesto with Green beans & Potato can also be served with a thick ribbon length pasta like Fettuccini instead of the potatoes

5. Chick pea Greek Salad; cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, vinaigrette of choice, black olives, feta cheese, cucumber and toasted Pita with Tzatziki on side ...

Ciao,
Have lovely wkend,
Margaux Cintrano.

I have dragon tongue wax beans, purple and green bush beans, and purple pole beans. I don't eat pasta very often so # 4 is out with pasta--it actually sounds horrible--yuck. I love chick peas, but they need too long of a growing season to grow here--I've tried--didn't work. And, the tomatoes are just starting to turn red/yellow--so no fresh tomatoes to add to the mix, just beans. I live in SE Ontario--although it is HOT here in the summer, we don't have long enough days re: daylight to grow such things as chick peas, etc. We're lucky to have 95-100 days. I keep hoping to grow cantaloupe...no such luck, yet.

CWS,

Have a lovely weekend with your veggies and legumes ...

I shall have to look up your bean species, as off top of think tank, I have never heard of the ones you had mentioned.

Have a nice August.
Margaux. Ciao.

CWS,

Have a lovely weekend with your veggies and legumes ...

I shall have to look up your bean species, as off top of think tank, I have never heard of the ones you had mentioned.

Have a nice August.
Margaux. Ciao.
Dragon tongue wax beans are a heirloom wax bush bean--they are yellow with purple "stripes." The bean is a flat bean, doesn't have a "furry" coat (I hate fuzzy beans), and it snaps very nicely. It is also drought and disease tolerant and a heavy producer. When you cook it, sadly, the purple goes away. The purple pole beans are also flat beans and have a smooth texture. Sadly, the purple also goes away when you cook them and they are a deep green. I was given the seeds by a friend, so don't know what they are--I'll have to ask him. The bush beans are Kentucky purple and green bush beans.

I have dragon tongue wax beans, purple and green bush beans, and purple pole beans. I don't eat pasta very often so # 4 is out with pasta--it actually sounds horrible--yuck. I love chick peas, but they need too long of a growing season to grow here--I've tried--didn't work. And, the tomatoes are just starting to turn red/yellow--so no fresh tomatoes to add to the mix, just beans. I live in SE Ontario--although it is HOT here in the summer, we don't have long enough days re: daylight to grow such things as chick peas, etc. We're lucky to have 95-100 days. I keep hoping to grow cantaloupe...no such luck, yet.
Pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool) can be quite tasty but I usually eat it in cooler weather.

justplainbill said:
Pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool) can be quite tasty but I usually eat it in cooler weather.

+1

I make the copycat Olive Garden recipe, it freezes well. Yum!

I just don't eat pasta very often (don't like it--I rather eat grains than pasta)...and 3/4/5/6/7 bean salad, in my mind, doesn't lend itself to pasta. I can see adding quinoa or bulghar wheat to a bean salad, but not pasta. Gross.

I suppose you feel the same about canned salmon. I like salmon with lemon juice and zest, sliced beans instead of garbozos would be good with a little basil and oregano.

Do you have some canned tomatoes from last year?

If you can't grow cantaloupe, try some Quebec heritage melons, the Montreal melon:

WMCmelondeMontrealcoupe.jpg

or the Oka melon:

melon_oka.jpg

Hawthorn Farm Organic Seeds (Canada) Heirloom and rare varieties, certified organic, farm grown

The Montreal melon is thin rind and used to be world famous for its wonderful flavour. It was believed to be extinct, but someone found some old seeds and managed to germinate one of them.

If you can't grow cantaloupe, try some Quebec heritage melons, the Montreal melon:

WMCmelondeMontrealcoupe.jpg

or the Oka melon:

melon_oka.jpg

Hawthorn Farm Organic Seeds (Canada) Heirloom and rare varieties, certified organic, farm grown

The Montreal melon is thin rind and used to be world famous for its wonderful flavour. It was believed to be extinct, but someone found some old seeds and managed to germinate one of them.
Oh---next summer! I brought seeds back from MN (figured if it could grow in MN, it could grow here...) the plants just don't take off. There are blossoms on them now, but I'm not convinced there is enough time to get the fruit to set before the frost.

I suppose you feel the same about canned salmon. I like salmon with lemon juice and zest, sliced beans instead of garbozos would be good with a little basil and oregano.

Do you have some canned tomatoes from last year?
Yes, we have canned tomatoes from last year...I just want fresh tomatoes...waaaa! And yes, I feel the same way about canned salmon--can't stand those bones (this would be the sockeye salmon). My mom is the same re: canned salmon and tuna...hmmm...learned response?

The salmon I get doesn't have bones. Nice wild alaskan canned salmon. Very tasty and I bet different from the last time you had some.

I'm waiting for a halibut steak, one of my co-workers husband just got back from Alaska and his yearly fishing trip. She HATES fish...can you believe it? So she brings me her share.

The salmon I get doesn't have bones. Nice wild alaskan canned salmon. Very tasty and I bet different from the last time you had some.

I'm waiting for a halibut steak, one of my co-workers husband just got back from Alaska and his yearly fishing trip. She HATES fish...can you believe it? So she brings me her share.
Lucky you! I will have to look the next time we go to NY for wild Alaskan canned salmon. I just can't handle those "socket" bones and the little white bones--yuck! So haven't even looked at canned salmon in years.

It is in tuna sized cans, I love it. The other canned salmon is only good for making salmon patties or loaf.

Back
Top Bottom