"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Senior Cook
How to use tomatoes in salad?

I was wondering, what do people recommend in terms of seeds in tomatoes for salad? I find that if I leave the seeds in, the tomatoes leak into the salad bowl and create far too much liquid; I don't like it when I get to the bottom of the bowl and there is a lake of liquid. On the other hand, if I remove the seeds, it makes the tomato slices look disfigured.

How do people deal with tomatoes for salads? I'm talking about a vinaigrette here. Lettuce, hardboiled egg, tomato and avocado. What do people recommend? Should I quarter the tomatoes, or do a whole cut? Should I peel them and seed them, or is that only for stews and sauces, and not for salads?

jasonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
Have you considered using cherry tomatoes and leaving them whole?

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Use firm but ripe tomatoes cut into thickish wedges. As you will be using a vinaigrette, I am assuming it is added last minute and the tomatoes should not ' leak'. Actually, I love all the juices at the bottom of a salad bowl, mopped up with bread! I would never peel and seed toms for a salad, especially a tossed one.
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
Head Chef
For salads, I generally either slice them or cut them in wedges and I, like you, don't particularly like the looks of the seeded ones. But I will do the deed if I am forced to make the salad in advance. Or, as GB said, use smaller tomatoes. Find the teeny guys hold up well even if halved. The Romas (we used to call them egg tomatoes. I guess the term Roma has more pizzazz) also seem to hold up better than the lovely, adorable, wonderful beefsteaks.

So I guess my guidelines (golly y'all make me think about what I do) is just use the darned things, seeds and all. but if you are going to make a salad afore, use the smaller varieties.

That sounds pretty good, I think, with a little more help from GB and the rest of you folks I may become a half decent short order cook.

Now all I have to learn is how to put those pithy sayings inserted at the end of the post.

Tomatoes I think I can sorta handle, computtters are simply beyond my ken.

Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

I did this manually, rats, there has got to be a better way.

God bless.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
Sous Chef
DH likes it when I do this with them

Slice the tomatoes, as many as you want. Thinly slice some onions , red ones look nice and they are sweet too.

Mix some raspberry vinegar or wine vinegar with some sugar and hot water ( to melt the sugar) to the sharpness of your taste and pour over the tomatoes then chill for a while.
I usually make enough for a couple of days.
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I usually cut up and put them in a strainer with a little salt for about 15 minutes. A lot of the water drains out.
Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Since you dont like the liquid from your tomatoes, I would suggest along the lines of what GB has mentioned using cherry tomatoes, or you can use grape tomatoes (smaller than a cherry tomatoe).
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
Master Chef
I simply add the tomatoes just before serving the salad. I halve cherries and grapes because of the squirt factor (yes, I've bitten into one and squirted a guest). When it is late summer and the garden is going great guns, then thick slices of tomato, with just S&P, maybe a splash of vinegar, and nothing else. But when doing a simple tossed salad, just add the tomatoes last to avoid watery-ness.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Master Chef
I agree with Claire. While I'll frequently fix the greens, herbs, & non-watery veggies for the salad ahead of time & chill them, I always add the dressing & the tomatoes, cucumbers, etc., right before serving.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Sous Chef
I like to use cherry/grape tomatoes in salads. I too cut them in half to avoid the squirt factor. I sometimes use roma in salads as they have more meat and less juice. I save the large tomatoes for slicing and eating as is with maybe some salt and to use in sandwiches.

PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote