I don't like ANY salad dressing I have tried. Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seven S, that is the first Green Goddess dressing I have seen that does not include anchovies. I may try it to see if it compares well.

Wet Leaves? Maybe you don't like salad because the components of it haven't been spun-dry. I find wet lettuce to be borderline wet-leaves as well. :sick:

Nicholas Mosher said:
Wet Leaves? Maybe you don't like salad because the components of it haven't been spun-dry. I find wet lettuce to be borderline wet-leaves as well. :sick:

Just an expression!:rolleyes: Spin it all you want, it tastes like crap. I don't care if it's iceburg or romaine, I can't stand lettuce, period. In fact, I can't stand any raw vegetables.

Fraidy

When I was very young I was absolutely terrified of salad dressings b/c I hated mayo and I hated vinegar, and I could smell them both a mile away.

What we ended up doing was putting cocktail sauce (like you make for shrimp cocktail) over my salads.

Cocktail sauce

Ketchup
Lemon juice
Horseradish
Salt/Pepper
Wasabi powder (optional)
Garlic (optional)

I think the OP requested something with garlic in it, and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to add garlic to the above, except that if you use too much horseradish it will simply overpower the garlic. If you are going to use garlic, I would use fresh garlic only, and finely minced. I didn't list any quantities for the above, because you can adjust for taste. Just use more ketchup than anything else. Add more horseradish/wasabi for heat, lemon juice for tartness. Heck you could probably add some white sugar or simple syrup to sweeten if you really wanted to.

Another suggestion I would make would be to lightly toss with a good EVOO, some lemon juice, salt/pepper.

How about Tzatziki, a greek yogurt based sauce with cucumber, dill and garlic?

Also you can make a tahini based dressing, with a touch of lemon, garlic, and additional toasted sesame seeds.

But my standard favourite is a drizzle of top quality evoo, simply with salt and pepper, and occasionally a few drops of balsamic vinegar (I can't stand regular vinegar either, but a good balsamic has a full mild flavour with a touch of sweetness...yum!)---this is, IMO the best way to showcase/compliment the fresh, quality vegetables.

GB, Tzatziki is made from strained Greek yoghurt (thick and creamy), grated cucumber, garlic, dill and olive oil. Therefore, the consistency is not suitable as a dressing unless you want to make it more liquid by using normal yoghurt.

LOL I am very familiar with tzatziki boufa06. It can certainly be used as a dressing. I have had creamy dressings that have been very thick before. There is nothing saying a dressing has to be thin, especially when the OP is looking for an alternative to regular dressings.

GB said:
Tzatziki can be used in many ways. There is no reason it could not be used as a dressing.

I have to vote with you here, GB. While it may not be customary or intended as a "dressing" there's no law that prevents it from being used thus, and certainly if it gets someone eating their daily ration of veggies -- why not?!

JayPankratz said:
I know, I am odd. The problem is, I can not stand any type of mayonaise, vinegar, mustard, or salad dressing products. Ranch is the closest I can come and even that is too overpowering. The only real issue is that salad is tough to eat without dressing. On top of that, I have shaky hands so all of it just ends up falling back down to the plate.

My thought is that maybe someone has a recipe or idea for an "alternative" salad dressing that would fit this purpose. I would prefer something that is already made that I can order rather than making it myself.

I want something flavorful but without the "tang" of traditional salad dressings. I assume it would be an oil product which is okay. Also, if it could incorporate garlic that would be fantastic! :D

Thanks,
Jay

Why not stop eating your lettuce as a salad? You seem to feel you must eat it, but who says it has to be ripped up in a bowl with something over it? Add several leaves to a good sandwich, or rolled up in a burrito, or under a hamburger, or with a bite of steak, or some mashed potato ... or whatever other food you happen to like (and which will be a bit more cooperative staying on your fork!).

Same nutrional value, after all, right?

I was gonna suggest that too. Try a chicken wrap - just some breaded chicken and lettuce rolled in a tortilla should be good. I've had it without dressing and it wasn't too dry, and it's not hard to grab it this way.

I have shaky hands too : )

What about just tossing your salad, in a little garlic oil.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom