"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I don't like ANY salad dressing I have tried. Ideas?

I know, I am odd. The problem is, I can not stand any type of mayonaise, vinegar, mustard, or salad dressing products. Ranch is the closest I can come and even that is too overpowering. The only real issue is that salad is tough to eat without dressing. On top of that, I have shaky hands so all of it just ends up falling back down to the plate.

My thought is that maybe someone has a recipe or idea for an "alternative" salad dressing that would fit this purpose. I would prefer something that is already made that I can order rather than making it myself.

I want something flavorful but without the "tang" of traditional salad dressings. I assume it would be an oil product which is okay. Also, if it could incorporate garlic that would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Jay

Old 10-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef

How about salsa??

Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Jay,
my dad loved his salad, had to have it every night. But he was not at all fond of many of the things you mention. His favorite thing was a good extra virgin olive oil that was slightly fruity to him. He would use it with some salt and pepper, of course he had to have tomato and sliced red onion, and as many raw veggies as possible..He would not eat croutons or avocado in salad, but every thing else was okay. Olive oil is also good mixed with a little orange juice, pomegranite juice, also good and a faorite of my son-in-law, is just some olive oil,ketchup sugar, salt and he adds sesame seeds and green onions sliced thin, he mixes all together and pours over his greens and over orange slices.
kadesma
Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Sous Chef

My son cannot stand anything "acid" either. We put sea salt, a little ground pepper and extra-virgin olive oil on his salads. More of the latter than anything else.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Everymom

What about some kind of raspberry thing? The kraft Raspberry Vinaigrette is very sweet, not at all overpowering. I think if you bought that and diluted it half and half with a good quality oil it might work for you.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Re: Hey June

I cannot recommend anything bottled, because I haven't bought salad dressing for more than 25 years. It's just too simple -- and so much tastier 00 to make them myself. The simplest, andone of my favorites is a squirt of fresh lemon and a couple of tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil. Finish with some sea salt and a turn or two of the pepper grinder. It's fresh tasting and complements almost any combination of greens and veggies.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Head Chef

I love paul newmans Ceasar dressing
Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have a friend who uses salad only dressed with lemon juice as a dressing. It isn't bad especially with an arugula salad or even a simple romaine.

Most of my salads follow Chef June's advice above. I do not buy premade "dressings".
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Hi there, Jay--

Ranch dressing--the real stuff--is made with a buttermilk base, because you could find buttermilk out in the country, and stuff like olive oil might require a long trip to the big city. (My DH grew up on a ranch in eastern Colorado, 15 miles from the nearest town, of about 700 people, and approximately 60 miles from the nearest chain supermarket. Visits to more exotic food stores were not an option!)

I suggest you experiment with buttermilk or yogurt and flavorings that suit your tastebuds. Make your own salad dressing, based on what you like!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #10
Contest Winner

Is it the sharp, vinegary taste that you dont like? If so, what about trying a sweet salad dressing? The kraft raspberry vinegrette Alix mentioned is quite good and not sour at all... Also, there is a nice Asian Sesame one made by Kraft that is good too. Its slightly sweet and has a nice sesame taste and doesnt have the vinegary bite that other salad dressings have. Creamy Poppyseed (again, by Kraft) is another good, sweet one. Kraft actually makes some decent dressings and I usually dont like the bottled stuff.

A nice, mandarin vinegrette might be something to try too. I usually blend 1 part mandarin juice, 1 part vinegar and 2 1/2 parts oil. You could just double the mandarin juice and omit the vinegar altogether and that'd probably be okay.... maybe even add in a smidge of honey if you still find the dressing too acidic.

Hope that helps!

Tags
None