"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by florine View Post
Thank you for your response. But this sauce is served with what? I did not know the french dressing.
It is served on salads.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Why do people put "French Dressing" on a (Mexican) Taco Salad? I see that in recipes all the time. It just doesn't sound good to me. I use Salsa, Sour Cream, Taco Sauce and Hot Sauce.
"Taco salad originated in the state of Texas. It is a fusion of the Mexican taco with the American salad. Taco salad is a widespread dish served in many places and prepared in many ways....

At home, taco salad is a convenient dish because it is a quick recipe and a good way to get rid of leftover ingredients. Taco salad is versatile, and people can arbitrarily create their own versions of the taco salad recipe."

Read more: Where did Taco Salad Originate? | eHow.com

Personally, I think someone found the recipe on the back of a salad dressing bottle. I've seen the "salad" made with Ranch dressing, as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Master Chef

The sweet & sour flavor of French, Catalina, and Russian dressings, are a good counterpoint to the seasoned beef, greens, Sharp Cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and lettuce flavors in Taco salad. I like to combine chili powder and a bit of Sriracha to Russian dressing. The flavors just work.

For an tossed salad, comprised of lettuce, and veggies, I love berry vinaigrettes. But if I'm eating a taco, there has to be guacamole in there.

Americans tend to love sweet and sour salad dressings, especially with the youth. It's oly been the last twenty years or so that we've been introduced to such a variety of differing food styles, in most of rural America.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I never see any of that. Or French dressing in taco salad.

Go figure.
I read Ä LOT" of recipes, and I see this often.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

During college, I was a bartender in an upscale Mexican restaurant. Their taco salad was dressed with a combo of French dressing and salsa. A very popular item, as I recall.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Another one I see a lot is Asian ingredients in Mexican Food, Swiss Cheese on Italian Food, Italian Cheeses on Cajun Food, the list goes on. I guess maybe because someone somewhere had to make substitutions????
Patty,
I'd guess the cheese thing is a matter of choice. The cheese you like best goes on things others might gag at
kades

Tags
None