I have a question......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
Why do people put "French Dressing" on a (Mexican) Taco Salad? I see that in recipes all the time. It just doesn't sound good to me. I use Salsa, Sour Cream, Taco Sauce and Hot Sauce.

Last edited:
All I know is there used to be this "taco" salad that was all the rage to bring to pot lucks 10+ years ago which involved a bag of Doritos and a bottle of Catalina (or French) dressing. For the life of me I can't remember what else was in it ... it's wasn't very good ~ it was just popular. =P

IMO many of these odd combinations, that we see today, are the result of food company test kitchens dreaming up ways for us to use products and increase sales. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hello,;)
How do you dressing for your salad greens or tomatoes, potatoes and salad ect?

Hello,;)
How do you dressing for your salad greens or tomatoes, potatoes and salad ect?

Simple Vinaigrettes - olive oil + citrus juice or some kind of vinegar + S&P top the majority of our salads - with variations of on the rest. Dijon + honey or herbs are also frequently included.

IMO many of these odd combinations, that we see today, are the result of food company test kitchens dreaming up ways for us to use products and increase sales. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Another one I see a lot is Asian ingredients in Mexican Food, Swiss Cheese on Italian Food, Italian Cheeses on Cajun Food, the list goes on. I guess maybe because someone somewhere had to make substitutions????:wacko:

Zereh thank you for your answer.
What is french dressing?:angel:What ingredients are used and with what?

An ingredient list for French Dressing:

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Another one I see a lot is Asian ingredients in Mexican Food, Swiss Cheese on Italian Food, Italian Cheeses on Cajun Food, the list goes on. I guess maybe because someone somewhere had to make substitutions????:wacko:

I never see any of that. Or French dressing in taco salad.

Go figure.

Thank you for your response. But this sauce is served with what:)? I did not know the french dressing.

Why do people put "French Dressing" on a (Mexican) Taco Salad? I see that in recipes all the time. It just doesn't sound good to me. I use Salsa, Sour Cream, Taco Sauce and Hot Sauce.

"Taco salad originated in the state of Texas. It is a fusion of the Mexican taco with the American salad. Taco salad is a widespread dish served in many places and prepared in many ways....

At home, taco salad is a convenient dish because it is a quick recipe and a good way to get rid of leftover ingredients. Taco salad is versatile, and people can arbitrarily create their own versions of the taco salad recipe."

Read more: Where did Taco Salad Originate? | eHow.com

Personally, I think someone found the recipe on the back of a salad dressing bottle. I've seen the "salad" made with Ranch dressing, as well.

The sweet & sour flavor of French, Catalina, and Russian dressings, are a good counterpoint to the seasoned beef, greens, Sharp Cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and lettuce flavors in Taco salad. I like to combine chili powder and a bit of Sriracha to Russian dressing. The flavors just work.

For an tossed salad, comprised of lettuce, and veggies, I love berry vinaigrettes. But if I'm eating a taco, there has to be guacamole in there.

Americans tend to love sweet and sour salad dressings, especially with the youth. It's oly been the last twenty years or so that we've been introduced to such a variety of differing food styles, in most of rural America.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

During college, I was a bartender in an upscale Mexican restaurant. Their taco salad was dressed with a combo of French dressing and salsa. A very popular item, as I recall.

Patty,
I'd guess the cheese thing is a matter of choice. The cheese you like best goes on things others might gag at:LOL:
kades

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom