I'm making broccoli slaw, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I saw it on a cooking show and it looked good, with carrots, brocoli, and some may mixed with Dijon mustasrd. Her addition of the sunflower seeds don't interest me.

Anyone have any other add-in s?

i don't like camned pineapple - but the slaw is bitter, it needs "something" or no one is gonna eat it. ...... anyone else ?

Possible additions:

almonds
peanuts
dried cranberries (other dried fruit)
apples
raisins
green onions
crushed ramen noodles

If you do a mayo type dressing a bit of sugar/sugar substitute will sweeten it and soften the bitterness of the slaw. If you do a mayo type dressing I would imagine grapes cut in half would be good.

There are also Asian style dressings for broccoli salad - this is a basic recipe.

If there are things in there you don't like i.e., sunflower seeds, just don't add them. It is a good recipe otherwise.

Here are lots of recipes where you can pull the ingredients out that you like and then determine if you want a mayo or oil/sweet/Asian type dressing.

If it's salad ideas that you want I just add the broccoli mix to a regular salad and let family and guests choose a dressing......I think that fresh sweet tangerine slices would go nicely as well and or dried cranberries along with a good balsamic vinegar and oil if you so desire...I don't care for walnuts in my salads but I set those out in a separate bowl and most people add those as well........

Not to be off topic but as an aside I love to add the broccoli slaw to my Moo Shu Chicken or Pork recipes to add extra nutritional value.......my family loves it.......easy to make if you like wraps........

How (technichally) do you make Brocholi slaw? do you "blanch" the broccohli first? or just "grate" it?... this sounds very good, but sort of rough on the teeth..

Thanks, Eric, Austin, Tx.

my family HATED it.

you clean and shred the broccoli with carrots in the food processor. add some mayo and mustard.

I buy the broccoli slaw that is already prepackaged in the grocery store and no, I do not blanch it.....it's sliced thin enough where you don't have to........just add it to your salads, etc..........of course you can make it yourself as well ........just think of it as roughage and healthy for your digestive system.......:)

BROCCOLI SALAD
2 CUPS FRESH BROCCOLI
½ CUP SUNFLOWER SEEDS
½ CUP CHOPPED RED ONION
¾ CUP RAISINS
1 CUP MAYO
¼ CUP SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS VINEGAR
3-4 STRIPS CRUMBLED COOKED BACON

Here's the recipe I mentioned. You can leave out the sunflower seeds!

How (technichally) do you make Brocholi slaw? do you "blanch" the broccohli first? or just "grate" it?... this sounds very good, but sort of rough on the teeth..

Thanks, Eric, Austin, Tx.

giggler - once you remove the tough outer layer with a vegetable peeler you are left with the more tender interior, then just grate. I often, at this point, cut the stalks into 3" or so chunks then cut into slices then thick matchsticks for a crudité tray. That way you don't waste the stalks and people truly wonder what they are eating!

I mix 1/4 cup of French dressing with 1/4 cup mayonaise and toss the broccoli slaw in it then top with lightly salted or unsalted, roasted peanuts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom