"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 03-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Sound real good to me but I would skip the avocado.All I can think of is maybe adding a couple of articoke hearts.May a peperoncini garnish

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef
As Aunt Dot said: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!....you did well with your first attempt....
when we were in Greece, we had "Greek Salad".....romaine;fresh, fresh tomatoes;cucumber;red onions; feta cheese; kalamata olives...whole, not sliced; dressing, I would guess, e.v.o.o., preferably Greek, lemon juice or wine vinegar and either fresh or dried Greek oregano.....Good Luck!!!!!... Be sure and let us know how you did.

ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Master Chef
I agree with the others..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The lemon juice sounds good, but since you already won a prize with the one you have, maybe you should stick with it. Perhaps add a somed fancy lemon slices as a garnish, along with a few Kalamata olives and artichoke hearts. That doesn't mean you have to leave out your sliced black olives...toss some of them in with the salad.
We had a salad similar to this at a very fancy restaurant iin Key West, and it was outstanding.
The toasted pita triangles will be perfect as an accompaniement. Just toss them in a little olive oil, spread out on a foil covered baking sheet, and toast both sides. If you want to sprinkle them with the same herbs you use in you dish, it will set them off. Dried herbs are best for this use.
You can do this the day before, and store in a paper bag.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC, Talyn. Your salad sounds delish! I hesitate to suggest something, since it is for a competition, but an idea to play around with for yourself, first, might be something like...

Lamb, Tzatiki sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, Kalamatas, garlic, feta... still thinking on it. Maybe eggplant? Again, it's just a thought to experiment with for yourself, if the idea is appealing.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Thanks for all of the suggestions! :D I think I'll try them all out (before competition) and see which ones I like best.

The original recipe I had used lemon instead of vinegar and a simpler ingredients, but the flavor fell flat. (Maybe it was the quality of the ingredients I was using, not too sure) I think I'll try a twist with the olives. ;D My dad was playing around with olives (since he's doing the low carb thing and loves olives) and stuck a green one in the black one... it was actually pretty good, so I'll see what I can do with that.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Talyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Good luck!!
Suus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Three things to say... lemon juice, kalamata, and CAPERS!
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
Hey guys, thank you so much for the ideas! I ended up not changing it much, just added kalamata and cut the amount of black olives in half. I was in fresno last week for the state competition and managed to come away with third place out of 20. I am a little disappointed in myself though. I would have gotten second place if I'd've remembered to say 'I'm going to prepare an Olympic Salata with a Dionysus Vinaigrette Dressing.' (You have to say it or else you'll lose 10 points...which I did.. :( )

But I guess I am happy to say that if it were based on the salad and my knife skills alone, I would have pulled away with 2nd. :) I plan to complete again, so all isn't lost. ^_^

I'll be posting the salad along with a picture later on when I'm on my own computer.

Talyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #19
Senior Cook
congrats talyn
Chef_Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer
Wow that stinks that a cooking contest judges you on remembering to say something. As far as I am concerned you got second place. Great job!!!

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote