Inexpensive Winter Salad Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Aunt Bea, that looks good!

Whisk, that recipe for orange ginger vinaigrette sounds like something I would love - I really like a citrusy vinaigrette. Copied and saved. :yum:

CG, thanks for sharing those links! I looked through them and there are some great sounding (and looking!) salads there. Love the pics :ohmy: :yum:

The dressing makes this salad.

Caesar’s Salad

Thank you...DH said we needed lettuce and we didn't. So we have five romaine hearts to use up. I found a tube of anchovy paste in the fridge, so this will be perfect. Have you ever brushed halved romaine w/ dressing and grilled it? That was was a big deal at our foofoo restaurants for awhile.

I'm glad to see some new ideas. We crave greens in the winter so we keep a couple of window boxes with greens going with a grow light on them for a few hours a day. And DH keeps a jar of sprouts going. I have a collection of oils and vinegars, but we're tired of vinaigrettes.

Kale chopped up and marinated in a vinaigrette for an hour or two is pretty good....it tenderizes the kale. I like balsamic or a berry vinegar, olive oil, some good mustard and a little maple syrup. That Orange Ginger Vinaigrette would be really good, too. Add some diced apple and candied pecans (toast in a heavy skillet with a little sugar until the sugar caramelizes).

A favorite is baby spinach, paper thin red onion and drained mandarin oranges (or fresh, but I'm too lazy to supreme an orange ). Avocado if you have it. And a sweet-ish dressing...poppy seed, or white wine vinegar, oil and OJ concentrate. Trader Joe's has a great orange champagne vinegar...that and whatever oil you like is perfect.

See why I'm tired of vinaigrettes?

I like celeriac (celery root), beet, and apple salad. I julienne the celeriac, grate the beet and chop the apple. You can add sunflower nuts or raisins, whatever you have in the house. I just make a a simple EVOO-lemon juice Dijon mustard (or not), S&P. Nothing fancy, but celeriac, beet, and apple are "winter" veggies and not cabbage. What about a cauliflower and broccoli salad?

Nigel Slater's Celeriac Remoulade Nigel Slater's classic celeriac remoulade recipe | Life and style | The Guardian.

NS also suggests doing it with beetroot is good too despite the rather furious pink-ness. The cream/crème fraiche sounds expensive but if you've got some left over from something else it doesn't cost anything (see - I can convince myself of anything). He does suggest an alternative and I've used thick Greek yoghourt before now - not authentic but worth a try.

Don't make more than you need as it goes a bit bleuch in texture if you try to keep it for another day.

Nigel Slater's Celeriac Remoulade Nigel Slater's classic celeriac remoulade recipe | Life and style | The Guardian.

NS also suggests doing it with beetroot is good too despite the rather furious pink-ness. The cream/crème fraiche sounds expensive but if you've got some left over from something else it doesn't cost anything (see - I can convince myself of anything). He does suggest an alternative and I've used thick Greek yoghourt before now - not authentic but worth a try.

Don't make more than you need as it goes a bit bleuch in texture if you try to keep it for another day.
We've switched to golden beets when developing recipes using beets. A lot of folk prefer the golden ones because they don't bleed...

Grated (shredded) carrots with peanuts or whatever nuts you ilke - toasted or not, whichever you prefer, with a vinaigrette type dressing using oil (to match your nuts if you like) and balsamic or sherry vinegar and fresh herbs. If you like it chopped, fresh coriander (cilantro) goes well with this.

Your simple salad is right up my alley. (Except for the cilantro.) Thanks for posting it here.

MY WINTER SALAD

I like sprouting lentils and use the 1/2" sprouts as follows:

2 C. Lentil Sprouts You can blanch them for a few seconds, then drain, to improve flavour & digestibility.

Chopped scallions
(i.e. green onion) - as much as you like

Shredded carrots, any quantity. Or rutabaga.

Salt & Pepper and a dressing of lemon juice, vinegar (I like rice vinegar) & oil and that's it.

Last edited:
This is rather good and nice and fresh when you've been eating winter stodge.

1980: Spicy Orange Salad, Moroccan Style
This recipe appeared in an article in The Times by Craig Claiborne.
3 large seedless oranges
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red-wine or sherry vinegar
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup chopped parsley
12 pitted black olives, preferably imported Greek or Italian.

1. Peel the oranges, paring away all the exterior white pulp. Cut each orange into 8 wedges. Cut each wedge into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
2. Place the cayenne, paprika, garlic, olive oil and vinegar in a salad bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and whisk to combine. Add the oranges, parsley and olives. Toss gently to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 4.

Thanks for this recipe Mad Cook. I have just made it for dinner accompanied by chicken sandwiches and I hope that my husband would love it. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom