"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Inexpensive Winter Salad Ideas

I'm looking for some suggestions from folks on inexpensive winter salads made with "fresh" supermarket vegetables. I make the standard cabbage salad, carrot salad, etc... I just need a couple of new ideas to add to my rotation.

I also wanted to share this old standby from Marion Cunningham for "Fire and Ice Relish". I mix the dressing ingredients in a pyrex measuring cup and microwave it until it boils, then I let it steep while I prepare the vegetables. I use chunks of vegetables about the size of half a grape tomato. I also change up the vegetables depending on what I have on hand. Today I added a cucumber and a rib of celery. It is also good made with a finely minced fresh hot pepper instead of the cayenne. I like having a "scoop" salad in the fridge for a quick lunch or a dinner side. This one is good for 3 or 4 days.

Recipe: Fire and ice relish | Star Tribune
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Thanks for the link Aunt Bea, sounds like something I can eat! I'm quickly getting coleslawed out.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm looking for some suggestions from folks on inexpensive winter salads made with "fresh" supermarket vegetables. I make the standard cabbage salad, carrot salad, etc... I just need a couple of new ideas to add to my rotation.

I also wanted to share this old standby from Marion Cunningham for "Fire and Ice Relish". I mix the dressing ingredients in a pyrex measuring cup and microwave it until it boils, then I let it steep while I prepare the vegetables. I use chunks of vegetables about the size of half a grape tomato. I also change up the vegetables depending on what I have on hand. Today I added a cucumber and a rib of celery. It is also good made with a finely minced fresh hot pepper instead of the cayenne. I like having a "scoop" salad in the fridge for a quick lunch or a dinner side. This one is good for 3 or 4 days.

Recipe: Fire and ice relish | Star Tribune
This is rather good and nice and fresh when you've been eating winter stodge.

1980: Spicy Orange Salad, Moroccan Style
This recipe appeared in an article in The Times by Craig Claiborne.
3 large seedless oranges
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red-wine or sherry vinegar
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup chopped parsley
12 pitted black olives, preferably imported Greek or Italian.

1. Peel the oranges, paring away all the exterior white pulp. Cut each orange into 8 wedges. Cut each wedge into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
2. Place the cayenne, paprika, garlic, olive oil and vinegar in a salad bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and whisk to combine. Add the oranges, parsley and olives. Toss gently to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 4.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
with modern Supermarkets, all of the ingredients for a great Caesar's Salad are available, and only the cheese is pricey. Here's a simple salad that's easy to make, not expensive, and delicious. The dressing makes this salad.

Caesar’s Salad

Caesar’s Salad Dressing
½ tsp. anchovy paste
1 small garlic clove
A two finger pinch of Kosher salt
2 large egg yolks
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. lemon zest
¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tbs. olive oil
½ cup vegetable oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ tsp. Freshly chopped basil.
3 tbs. finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Croutons
3 cups torn 1" pieces country bread, with crusts
3 tablespoons olive oil, or vegetable oil


Veggies:
3 romaine hearts with leaves washed, separated, and spun dry

Seasoning:
Parmigiano Reggiano to be grated fresh over the salad


Of course you can change this to something like a cob salad, or even a simple tossed salad. The salad dressing will work with all of them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Another favorite salad, and one that is good for all seasons is a good 3-bean salad. here's my version.

Ingredients:
Drain each can, and each must contain the same amount of product.
1 can each, garbanzo (chick peas), whole green beans, whole waxed beans.
1 cup cold water
1/2 tsp. celery seed
3 tbs. sugar
1 onion, chopped
3 tbs. roasted red pepper
Balsamic Vinegar to taste.

Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for an hour.

You can change up the bean mixture. Use black beans, kidney beans, and waxed beans, or lima/butter beans, and green beans.

I find that I need some kind of long bean (wax or green) in my three bean salad. If you steam your green or wax beans until they just get tender (about 15 minutes), then place immediately into cold water, that's better than canned beans.

Basically, three bean salad is a sweet and sour marinade of sugar, water, and vinegar, combined with your favorite beans, onion, celery flavor, and whatever else you want to add. I've even turned it into a 4 or 5 bean salad, and it's still great.

A 20 second google search gave me this site - http://www.simpledish.com/search/?q=...FQcyaQodox0Aqw

The recipes look great.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
I've made this salad three times just since Cheryl posted it on another thread. I use half the amount of olive oil called for and lemon juice instead of lime. It's really delicious and worthy of a stand alone meal.

Black Bean and Corn Salad II Recipe - Allrecipes.com
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
with modern Supermarkets, all of the ingredients for a great Caesar's Salad are available, and only the cheese is pricey. Here's a simple salad that's easy to make, not expensive, and delicious. The dressing makes this salad.

Caesar’s Salad

Caesar’s Salad Dressing
½ tsp. anchovy paste
1 small garlic clove
A two finger pinch of Kosher salt
2 large egg yolks
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. lemon zest
¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tbs. olive oil
½ cup vegetable oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ tsp. Freshly chopped basil.
3 tbs. finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Croutons
3 cups torn 1" pieces country bread, with crusts
3 tablespoons olive oil, or vegetable oil


Veggies:
3 romaine hearts with leaves washed, separated, and spun dry

Seasoning:
Parmigiano Reggiano to be grated fresh over the salad


Of course you can change this to something like a cob salad, or even a simple tossed salad. The salad dressing will work with all of them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I'd love to try a really good Caesar salad but unfortunately we are a bit paranoid about raw eggs over here so the best we can do is a nasty powder in a packet which you reconstitutes with water. Bleuch!
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Another favorite salad, and one that is good for all seasons is a good 3-bean salad. here's my version.

Ingredients:
Drain each can, and each must contain the same amount of product.
1 can each, garbanzo (chick peas), whole green beans, whole waxed beans.
1 cup cold water
1/2 tsp. celery seed
3 tbs. sugar
1 onion, chopped
3 tbs. roasted red pepper
Balsamic Vinegar to taste.

Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for an hour.

You can change up the bean mixture. Use black beans, kidney beans, and waxed beans, or lima/butter beans, and green beans.

I find that I need some kind of long bean (wax or green) in my three bean salad. If you steam your green or wax beans until they just get tender (about 15 minutes), then place immediately into cold water, that's better than canned beans.

Basically, three bean salad is a sweet and sour marinade of sugar, water, and vinegar, combined with your favorite beans, onion, celery flavor, and whatever else you want to add. I've even turned it into a 4 or 5 bean salad, and it's still great.

A 20 second google search gave me this site - Search Results For: salad | Simple Dish | Quick, Easy, & Healthy Recipes for Dinner

The recipes look great.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I make something similar with chick peas, red kidney beans and flageolet beans or sometimes sweet corn kernels..

The dressing is similar except I use some oil (olive or whatever you like best) and no water.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Inexpensive Winter Salad Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'd love to try a really good Caesar salad but unfortunately we are a bit paranoid about raw eggs over here so the best we can do is a nasty powder in a packet which you reconstitutes with water. Bleuch!

Saw this on Rachel Ray today, sounded good: http://www.food.com/recipe/no-egg-ca...el-rays-105760

She added some anchovy paste to the recipe on the show.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Grated (shredded) carrots with peanuts or whatever nuts you ilke - toasted or not, whichever you prefer, with a vinaigrette type dressing using oil (to match your nuts if you like) and balsamic or sherry vinegar and fresh herbs. If you like it chopped, fresh coriander (cilantro) goes well with this.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, salad, tomatoes

Inexpensive Winter Salad Ideas I'm looking for some suggestions from folks on inexpensive winter salads made with "fresh" supermarket vegetables. I make the standard cabbage salad, carrot salad, etc... I just need a couple of new ideas to add to my rotation. I also wanted to share this old standby from Marion Cunningham for "Fire and Ice Relish". I mix the dressing ingredients in a pyrex measuring cup and microwave it until it boils, then I let it steep while I prepare the vegetables. I use chunks of vegetables about the size of half a grape tomato. I also change up the vegetables depending on what I have on hand. Today I added a cucumber and a rib of celery. It is also good made with a finely minced fresh hot pepper instead of the cayenne. I like having a "scoop" salad in the fridge for a quick lunch or a dinner side. This one is good for 3 or 4 days. [URL="http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/recipes/99963759.html"]Recipe: Fire and ice relish | Star Tribune[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.