Is this a salad dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookieee

Sous Chef
While researching my jams and jelly binder for the cooking game, I came across this. I don't know what to make of it. It does call for DH's favorite, Blueberry. What do you all thing it is for? Maybe a fruit salad or lettuce salad or what?

Blueberry Dressing (makes 2/3 cup)

2 TB blueberry vinegar
1 1/2 tsp firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
3 TB blueberry preserves

In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, brown sugar, cardamom and coriander, add the oil in a stream, whisking until it is emulsified. Stir in the preserves and let the dressing stand for 1 hour at room temperature.

Source: Gourmet mag. 4/93 Suzanne Carmichael, Tacoma, Washington

While researching my jams and jelly binder for the cooking game, I came across this. I don't know what to make of it. It does call for DH's favorite, Blueberry. What do you all thing it is for? Maybe a fruit salad or lettuce salad or what?

Blueberry Dressing (makes 2/3 cup)

2 TB blueberry vinegar
1 1/2 tsp firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
3 TB blueberry preserves

In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, brown sugar, cardamom and coriander, add the oil in a stream, whisking until it is emulsified. Stir in the preserves and let the dressing stand for 1 hour at room temperature.

Source: Gourmet mag. 4/93 Suzanne Carmichael, Tacoma, Washington
That’s pretty sweet! I could see it as a good dressing for a spinach, fruit and nut salad, maybe?

Needless to say, I’ll never make it. I’ve never seen blueberry vinegar on the shelves at the supermarket, so it’s a no-go for me.(I’m sure one could make blueberry vinegar, but I’m not even gonna google it!)

I've made a dressing with fig balsamic vinegar and used it on a salad made of butter lettuce, fruit, feta and mint. Your recipe could also be used as a marinade and glaze (not over direct heat) for grilled chicken.

That’s pretty sweet! I could see it as a good dressing for a spinach, fruit and nut salad, maybe?

Needless to say, I’ll never make it. I’ve never seen blueberry vinegar on the shelves at the supermarket, so it’s a no-go for me.(I’m sure one could make blueberry vinegar, but I’m not even gonna google it!)

I don't ever recall seeing blueberry vinegar on any grocery shelf.

Thanks guys for your salad suggestions. I have also put DH on Blueberry Vinegar alert when he is grocery shopping. If he can't find it, I have a couple recipes on how to make it.
1. Blueberry Vinegar
2. Blueberry Basil Vinegar
3. Triple-Berry Vinegar - more of a marinade

I don't like any salad dressings, i use piccalilli instead, i just add a few spoonfuls over the top of a tossed in salad, it works well and gives my salad a bit of heat!

Well, rr, since vinegar is pretty acidic, it probably is OK for a while, especially since it's stored in the fridge. But to make sure you would use it up in a timely manner, you could make a smaller batch. Maybe 1 cup berries, 1 cup vinegar, 1 Tbsp sugar, or even 2/3 cup each berries and sugar and 2 tsp sugar.

Hmm, I think I might make a small batch of the stuff myself when blues go on sale cheap. :ermm: :huh: See what you've done!

Sorry about that! :LOL:

I got stuck on exploring that webpage with all the blueberry recipes. Forget the blueberry vinegar. I have to try all those blueberry desserts first!

tome,the op's shared recipe looks like another berry vinaigrette. I have had and love raspberry vinaigrette, strawberry, and others. I would think this blueberry concoction would be equally good on a tossed salad, or drizzled over raw cauliflower, or broccoli. But that's my take on it. Enjoy your blueberry recipes. Just remember, there's a lot of fiber in those little blue fruits, and they can get you running to the bathroom more than usual.:ermm:

Seeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

Usually, I add ACV(apple cider vinegar), lemon juice, black pepper, pink salt and little olive oil for dressing.

Back
Top Bottom