ISO a good balsamic vinaigrette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcald2000

Assistant Cook
Does anyone out there know of a really good balsamic vinaigrette that I could purchase from a store? I went to this lunch spot in Manhattan called metro cafe and they have these most delicious salad dressings including a great tasting balsamic vinaigrette.

I dont think you will get what you want pre made and vinegrette is simple to make. I would play around with making it yourself there are so many variables to try. My basic balsamic vinagrette is baslically olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ground garlic, a dab of musatd and ketsup S& P but you can go as complicated as you want roasting garlic and reducing the balsamic and varying the texture and flavor considerably.

Hmm... well I'm interested in making salad to bring to work so that I can save some money in time during my lunch break. I have some pyrex glass tuperware; would I store the salad and the dressing in the same tuperware while in my company fridge, or keep the dressing in a separate jar until right before I'm about to eat?

Keep the dressing in a separate jar until you are ready to eat. The Dijon mustard Pancho mentioned will help keep it emulsified. I still suggest looking at the Google hits. You'll get some great ideas for salads too! :chef:

Up in Michigan, I made a great Balsamic Vin. by making confit of minced shallots and garlic. Just take the shallots and garlic and slowly sweat them over med-low heat in a good amout of olive oil (almost like simmering them, you want A LOT of oil). Once the shallots and garlic start to caramelize a bit, remove from the heat and let cool. Add in some good balsamic vinegar (to taste, but a 2 : 1 ratio of oil : vinegar is standard). We couldn't get enough of that stuff at work.

Back
Top Bottom