ISO a simple or even old fashioned coleslaw recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilineyes1

Assistant Cook
does anyone know of how to make a simple slaw or maybe have a recipe from their mom or grandma if so please let me know would like to make for a big BBQ i will be having on sunday it will be for a birthday party for my daughter so maybe something kid friendly also

thanks and God Bless:)

Last edited:
Here's the one I use. It's from an out of print BHG cookbook. I generally use a bagged slaw mix, although back when I was gardening, I grew an OS cross cabbage that made enough slaw to feed 40 people at a wedding.

Coleslaw

2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 medium carrot, shredded
½ cup Miracle Whip
1 tablespoon cidar vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon celery seed

Mix cabbage and carrot in a bowl. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage mixture. Toss to coat. Slaw may look underdressed, but will accumulate liquid as it sits. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours. At least 8 hours is best.

*Note: you may want to add a bit of pepper to the dressing...depends on your taste.

Here's another one of my favorite slaws...this one is quite spicy.

North Carolina Style Slaw

1 Cabbage; shredded (or 2 packages coleslaw mix)
1 tsp Pepper
2 Red and green bell peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 c Cider vinegar
1/4 c Brown sugar
1 ts Salt
1/4-1/2 cups Ketchup

Mix everything but cabbage and peppers and taste!!!!! Add whatever you think you might want more of ( ketchup and sugar reduce bitterness).

Dump it in with the vegs and mix well. Let sit in frige to chill and allow the flavors to mix.

*Note: this one is great with BBQ.

i head of cabbage, grated 4mm Cuisinart
2 carrots grated
1/2 cucumber grated
1/2 green pepper sliced very thin
1 bunch green onions chopped white and green
Put in collander with 1 TBS salt mixed in. Use a weighted plate on top to drain off liquid for 30 min to 1 hour. Squeese again when putting in a bowl. Make dressing:
1 C of homemade mayonaise
1/4 C sour cream
juice of a lemon
1 tsp or more dry mustard
1 TBS celery seed
Mix together... add only 3/4 of dressing as you may not need more... depends on how much dressing you like and the amt of cabbage.

Very good with fish.

This is from my great-grandmother: shred cabbage (using a knife), onion, a bit of carrot (not much), and a bit of bell peppers; salt and let drain in a colander for an hour or so. Put in a bowl and mix up evaporated milk with sugar to taste and slowly add white vinegar until it thickens. Pour this over the cabbage mixture and stir well. Oh, don't forget black pepper!!!

Back
Top Bottom