ISO Aunt Bea's Cabbage Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, Aunt Bea! :) I've noticed that you have cabbage salad fairly often and was wondering if you would share the recipe. I mentioned to DH that I was planning burgers and salads for dinner tonight and he said, "You know, I'd like to have that cole slaw again." Which is fine, but it occurred to me, it would be nice to have a variation available. So will you share your recipe? :)

This cabbage salad had a place on our dining room table for Sunday dinners and holidays from fall to spring, thanks for asking!

I take a pyrex bowl put in a big teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt, celery seed, salt, pepper and a big splash of apple cider vinegar. Then I put my knuckle buster box grater in the bowl and grate in a half of a medium sized cabbage, stir it up and add a tennis ball sized glop of Hellman's mayonnaise, stir again and refrigerate. I usually make it in the morning when I'm cleaning up the kitchen so it has 3 or 4 hours to chill until dinner. That's it!

It keeps about three days in the refrigerator.

I also find the cabbage from the grocery store is dehydrated. when I buy one I bring it home, shave off a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of the stem, put it root side down in a mixing bowl and fill the bowl with water. I refrigerate it that way for a day or two before I start using it.

Copied and pasted. Thank you, Aunt Bea! I love cole slaw and this will be a perfect side dish to the pulled pork sandwiches I'm planning to make in the next few days. :yum:

Sounds great, thanks! And thanks for the tip on rehydrating the cabbage :)

Ditto here. I always tear off about two layers of the leaves. Maybe I will have to only remove the first layer with this tip. It has been years since I saw a really fresh head of cabbage right out of the garden. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom