ISO buttermilk salad dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I am looking for a dressing made with buttermilk. Anyone have a recipe to share? Thanks

This is my favorite Buttermilk Ranch - really tasty!

1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 scallions, white part only, minced
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs snipped fresh chives
1 Tbs EVOO
additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Make a paste by crushing the garlic with the side of the knife and adding salt and work into a coarse paste. Transfer to a bowl and add mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, scallions, parsley, and chives. Whisk in the olive oil and season with S/P to taste. Yield about 1-1/4 cup.

NOTE: If you do not use all of it the day you make it, it has a tendency to thin out because of the moisture in the scallions. If you like a thicker ranch you can use 1 tsp each of dried parsley and chives, and 2 Tsp of dehydrated onion flakes and it is thicker. I also sometimes use more mayo and less buttermilk, making certain the total of both is 1-1/4 cup to make it thicker for those that like it thicker. I really like it the way it is written out above. Makes a VERY refreshing iceberg wedge salad with bacon and cherry tomatoes.

You are very welcome - let me know how you like it. An iceberg wedge sure would hit the spot on these hot and humid days :chef:

I just made the dressing. It is sooooo good. I can't wait for my family to enjoy it.

Robo - have you got a Green Goddess you'd be willing to share? I love the stuff. I've made several recipes but still haven't found the perfect one. I've been contemplating some avocado in it too.

elaine...so glad you liked it. Now you see why it's a favorite!

I have stuck it in a blender w/ a little mayo, olive oil, salt, pepper, onion, fresh garlic and a large amount of fresh basil would be good. A little parm cheese too... maybe lemon juice or vinegar
But I see the elf is once again stealing the ideas right out of my notebook ....
:)

Back
Top Bottom