"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Exceptional Salad Dressings

My wife is going to a dinner on Wensday and has been asked to bring 3 salad dressings. I make a pretty decent mayo, but can never get the flavor quite right. But the consistancy is great. This mayo will be made into a ranch dressing.

I also have some frozen raspberries in the freezer and plan to make a home-made raspberry-vinagarette.

For the third, I intend to make a fusion of a sweet Russian Dressing with chili powder mixed in to give it a bit of a southwestern kick.

I have combined store-bought russian and chili powder many times. It makes a great dressing that goes great on taco salad, or with any leafy salad served along side tacos, burritoes, etc. The dinner will be chili with cornbread and salad. I don't want to use store bought dressings, but want to send my DW with great home made dressings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Master Chef

I make a darned good bleu cheese dressing with Miracle Whip, crumbled bleu cheese, a dash of lemon juice, a grind of black pepper and enough milk to thin the mixture to the consistency you like.
The MW works better than mayo or sour cream because of it's lighter, tangier taste.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

gw, have you thought about going asian and trying a creamy ginger, or sesame oil and garlic dressing?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
... The dinner will be chili with cornbread and salad. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I would go with an avocado dressing.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Both these salads have great dressings. Note: In the first recipe, I omitted the oil and parmesan, which yielded a lighter dressing, but many people have included them, and loved it, so it's good either way. Also, I used lemon zest instead of lemongrass, low sodium soy sauce instead of fish sauce, an extra clove garlic, 3 Tbsp lime juice instead of 4, and 1/2 tsp instead of 2 tsp Asian chili sauce.

PACIFIC-RIM CAESAR SALAD
Pacific-Rim Caesar Salad Recipe at Epicurious.com

CREAMY, LEMONY, PEPPER-PARMESAN DRESSING OVER ROMAINE SALAD
Recipes : Creamy, Lemony, Pepper-Parmesan Dressing on Romaine Lettuce Salad : Food Network
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I had a wonderful raspberry vinegar and lime juice dressing over a prawn salad once but have never been able to replicate the flavours correctly but that was divine!

Love the Japanese salad dressing they use over here, very garlicy but different from a standard salad dressing.

I also quite like an Asian coleslaw but with a satay sauce over it instead of the usual coleslaw dressings.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Master Chef

Wow! Super Ideas. I guess I'm going to have to do a bit of research to figure out some of these dressings. Thanks everyone.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chili, cornbread, and salad to me screams a REALLY good homemade ranch dressing.

You can also "Mexican up" your Ranch with all those Mexican flavors - chili powder, fresh cilantro, ground cumin, and a bit of cayenne. I also add chives to my homemade Ranch - I would still use chives too OR the green part of some spring onions.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I know it probably wouldn't go well with a chili supper, but I used to make a killer balsamic dressing when I lived in MI.

Finely mince 2 - 3 shallots
Finely mince 1 - 2 garlic cloves

Make a confit of the shallots and garlic with about 1 1/2 - 2 c of good EVOO. Cook this over low heat so the shallots and garlic don't caramelize to heavily. Once the shallots have started to wilt and lightly caramelize, remove the mixture from the heat, and add about 1/2 c of good balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir, and allow to cool to room temperature.

I like to mix grated Parmesan with that, and just dip some good bread into it.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I had a champagne / walut dressing once. I cant even remember where I got it from. I think it was a gift. Very good!!!

Tags
None