ISO help/tips making vinaigrette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srm

Cook
So at a local restaurant here they have a greek salad that i really enjoy. It comes with a side vinegrette that they told me is just made up of olive oil, white vinegar and oregano.

I tried making some at home and mine doesnt taste good at all.. what i'm wondering is what kind of vinegar should i be using, AND what is the ratio of oil to vinegar. I tried using a white balsamic vinegar and that was alright, but they told me it's just regular white vinegar.

Thanks

I make my vinegrette with a good quality EVOO, and good vinegar, generally aged balsamic, if I want white, probably chardonnay or champagne. Usually add a smidgen of garlic, pepper, and fresh herbs. If yours tasted different from a restaurant version, it may lie in the herbs, or the quality of oil or vinegar. I think that the typical ratio of oil to vinegar is around 4-1.

Hrmm, i think the part i'm really not sure on was the vinegar. So you're using wine as a vinegar? maybe that's where i'm going wrong!

Ok. is this something you buy at the grocery store? or liquor store?

Regular white vinegar is very harsh and probably shouldnt be used.

Pick up some white wine vinegar at the grocery store and use that. Or rice wine vinegar, which is very mild.

And good olive oil.

The general ratio is 3 parts oil to 1 part acid, but make it to your taste. I lkie mine brighter so I usually go 50/50.

I also add a small dollop of dijon mustard, some garlic and a hit of soy sauce.

You can whisk, food process or shake up in a jar.

Here's a general guideline to a pretty good Greek Vinaigrette:

1 part olive oil
3 parts white wine vinegar (it will be labeled as such - do not make the mistake of accidentally getting "white cooking wine")

Let's say you use 1/4 cup olive oil and 3/4 cup vinegar - that will make enough for a week or so, depending on a few variables.

Add these to a blender and put in about 1 tsp. of fresh Oregano and 1 TBS of chopped celery and give it a whirl. Pour it out and whisk in about 2 TBS of feta cheese and a good squeeze from 1/2 a lemon. The lemon should bring up the brightness and to me, lemon is the key to a Greek salad dressing. Taste for salt as the feta will add some salt to it. If it needs more salt add some now and add some cracked black pepper.

When I do this I normally add an egg yolk or you can add about 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters. This turns it into more of a Greek Caesar, which I like. The egg is not a must though.

K-elf and Alix

Good call on the lemon in Greek salad dressing.

I love the idea of whisking hte cheese into the saue.

I would add a little garlic too.

K-elf and Alix

Good call on the lemon in Greek salad dressing.

I love the idea of whisking hte cheese into the saue.

I would add a little garlic too.

I'm with Jennyma - Greek cooking uses lots of lemon.
As far as the ratio of oil to vinegar - thats totally up to
your taste - I like a mix of 50/50 which is very acetic but
that's my taste.

Another tip - instead of whisking you could alternatively
add all the components to a small glass jar with a lid - close it up and shake like h--l.

Here's a general guideline to a pretty good Greek Vinaigrette:

1 part olive oil
3 parts white wine vinegar (it will be labeled as such - do not make the mistake of accidentally getting "white cooking wine")

Let's say you use 1/4 cup olive oil and 3/4 cup vinegar - that will make enough for a week or so, depending on a few variables.

Add these to a blender and put in about 1 tsp. of fresh Oregano and 1 TBS of chopped celery and give it a whirl. Pour it out and whisk in about 2 TBS of feta cheese and a good squeeze from 1/2 a lemon. The lemon should bring up the brightness and to me, lemon is the key to a Greek salad dressing. Taste for salt as the feta will add some salt to it. If it needs more salt add some now and add some cracked black pepper.

When I do this I normally add an egg yolk or you can add about 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters. This turns it into more of a Greek Caesar, which I like. The egg is not a must though.
Are you sure you have those proportions right? I use 3 or 4 parts oil to one part vinegar.

A vinaigrette dressing is flexible.
The usual ratio is 3 parts olive oil to 1 part wine vinegar.
Pour in different oils, such as walnut or hazelnut, and use balsamic or
sherry vinegars.
For a little more flair, add chopped garlic, minced shallots or a little
Dijon mustard.
To each half-cup of dressing, add either 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled
Roquefort cheese; 2 tablespoons chopped chives or a mixture of 2 teaspoons
chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and a pinch of thyme.
If you add fresh basil, rosemary or tarragon, remove when the herbs
discolor.
Store in the refrigerator.

Our Family Recipe for viniagrette (and thank goodness my MIL doesn't visit this site!)

50/50 ratio good oil to good wine vinegar (I usually do 3 T & 3)
about a T of mustard (plain yellow works fine)
3T very finely minced onions
1/2 t white Worchestershire (did I spell that right?)
2 pinches of Kosher salt (it's so hard to over salt with Kosher)

Shake and pour - it's fabulous on tomatoes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom