ISO: Homemade French Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middie

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay so I'm eating alot more salad and honestly I'm ranched out. Does anyone have a good homemade french dressing recipe to share with me please ?

Hi middie!

When I make a thousand island I use equal parts of mayo, ketchup, and pickle relish. When I think of French it's just without the pickle relish. Is that what you mean? If you wanted to, you could add a little honey to the mayo and ketchup. Also, I made a buttermilk dressing tonight. I make my dressings from scratch 99.99999% of the time. I think you will find a buttermilk dressing a GREAT alternative to Ranch but still somewhat similar. It's extremely refreshing. To this buttermilk you can add a bit of bleu cheese OR you could add a bit of feta and dill to make a greek-type dressing.

Let me know about the French - whether you mean a sweeter one or not. Otherwise I think you will find the above recipe do-able. You may even like the thousand island. I have quite a few options for homemade salad dressing. Let me know what kinds of stuff you like

A "true" French dressing is nothing more than a good-quality vinegar with a good-quality oil. The "French" dressing that us Americans are used to has tomato in it. I don't have a recipe for it at this time, though. It may be as simple at vinegar, oil, and ketchup. Of course, it will separate, as the commercial stuff has stabilizers in it to keep if from breaking.

Here's a real old french dressing recipe - but, it's still tasty!!!

FRENCH DRESSING

1 c oil
3/4 c vinegar
1 can tomato soup
1 c brown sugar (scant)
1 T salt
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T prepared mustard
1 t pepper
1 t paprika
1 dash cayenne
1 small onion -- finely minced
1 small clove garlic -- finely minced

Mix all in a quart jar. Chill overnight.

Here is another red dressing recipe I came across looking for a french recipe (sorry, all the french recipes I found were simply olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and paprika). It is called "Des Moines Dressing" and it comes from "A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband" copyright 1917.

Des Moines Dressing
1/2 C. Mayo
3 T Chili Sauce
3 T Catsup
2 T Chopped Dill Pickles
2 T Chopped Ripe Olives
1 T Lemon Juice

Simply mix all the ingredients together, chill and serve.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but might also not be too bad. I also have a much more recent recipe for a green dressing made from parsley if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom