ISO: Honey balsamic vinegrette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
Hello everyone, this is my first post because of how much i love honey balsamic vinegrette but you can't buy it anywhere. i tried to make it today by throwing some balasmic vinegrette, honey and olive oil in a pan over medium heat. it tasted all right but could anyone tell me how to make a really good one? maybe a regular honey balsmic vinegrette dressing and maybe an interesting twist on it if any of you share my love for it. thanks!

Don't use a pan or heat.

Make a basic vinaigrette, using 3 parts olive oil and 1 part balsamic vinegar (adjust proportions to taste). Add 1 teaspoon dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon honey, a pinch of salt, some ground black pepper. Mix with a food processor or just put everything in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well.

jennyema is right about this. I saw a product similar to this on the store shelf yesterday. I was going to look through my recipes before I bought it. How do you use yours?

Some food for thought on this recipe concept:

Balsamic is a much sweeter vinegar so the standard 3 to 1 ratio oil to vinegar may not apply here. I very rarely use this ratio with balsamic vinegar. Especially if you are adding more sweetness with the honey. You might try using a MUCH lesser amount of oil and then adding additional increments accordingly. I can see where you might want to heat it if you were going to use the dressing in a wilted spinach salad capacity. Otherwise, to blend thoroughly, simply use a whisk or a blender.

The Dijon mustard jennyema suggested will really smooth the flavors out too and also keep the dressing from separating.

OK, I just made some of this. I did not use any Dijon because I was out - horror of all horrors!!!!!!!!!!

I used:

4 parts olive oil (in this case 1/4 cup)
4 parts balsamic (1/4 cup)
2 parts honey (2 TBS)

I started out with only 2 parts olive oil and it was a bit......um.......tangy? :-p

I went ahead and added the other two parts and it is quite tasty. I also slightly heated and dipped in fresh spinach leaves - YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarragon is a yummy addition to a honey balsamic dressing. The restaurant I worked at in college had this as their house dressing. I loved it drizzled on their open faced turkey spinach melt on pumpernickel bread.

"4 parts olive oil (in this case 1/4 cup)
4 parts balsamic (1/4 cup)
2 parts honey (2 TBS)"

i did that recipe and it was pretty **** good.

try with

5 tbps of E.V.O.O. made with only "Coratina" olives drupe
2 tbps of Balsamic Vinegar made by "Moscato" grape
1 tbps of Chestnut Honey
1/4 tps of Ginger powder

combine the vinegar with honey and ginger, than add the E.V.O.O. gradually using a whisk

Italian guy said:
try with

5 tbps of E.V.O.O. made with only "Coratina" olives drupe
2 tbps of Balsamic Vinegar made by "Moscato" grape
1 tbps of Chestnut Honey
1/4 tps of Ginger powder

combine the vinegar with honey and ginger, than add the E.V.O.O. gradually using a whisk

That sounds delicious, Italianguy. Do you use it to dress anything in particular or just salads in general?

Back
Top Bottom