"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Pasta Salad recipe

I am planning to have a party next weekend and will be having several couples over for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. I plan to make a large tray of assorted finger sandwiches, probably put out some chips and nuts. I'll also do some stuffed grape leaves, and whatever else. My search is for a pasta salad, something different made with a vinaigrette type dressing instead of mayo. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Head Chef

"Curried Couscous Salad With Dried Cranberries" is fantastic - I've made it many times. Let me know if you want me to post it.
Two other possibilities (these are not T&T, but have gotten great reviews): Greek Pasta Salad With Roasted Vegetables, and "Orzo With Roasted Vegetables:" (Barefoot Contessa). Will post them if you're interested. Also, several good Antipasto Salads can be found with ratings and reviews on the Recipezaar site.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Head Chef

Lyndalou, there are several I like. Caprese pasta salad (tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil & pasta of choice), Greek pasta salad (try a search here under cold pasta salads - there was a thread re same). Here are a few more I make during the summer.

16 ounces pasta (your choice)- cooked and drained
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
small pkg sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil) - rehydrated and chopped
Zesty Italian dressing

Cook pasta, drain and put in large bowl. Pour dressing over pasta. Let cool. Add chopped olives, feta, chopped parsley, and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Refrigerate 4-6 hours. Just before serving add the tomatoes.

This one has rice, but makes a nice party or side dish:

Greek-Style Picnic Salad
Old 10-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I am planning to have a party next weekend and will be having several couples over for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. I plan to make a large tray of assorted finger sandwiches, probably put out some chips and nuts. I'll also do some stuffed grape leaves, and whatever else. My search is for a pasta salad, something different made with a vinaigrette type dressing instead of mayo. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
This is one of my favorites - very elegant-looking. It only has a little mayo

Shrimp and Artichoke Pasta Salad

For Salad

* 2 cups uncooked small pasta (rotini, gemelli, or shells work well)
* 1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
* 1/4 cup snipped chives
* 1 6-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, sliced (reserve liquid)
* large whole red lettuce leaves

For Dressing

* reserved liquid from artichoke hearts
* 3 tbsp. lemon juice
* 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
* 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
* 1/2 tsp. chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Just before it's done, put shrimp in pot and cook for about two minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place into a large bowl and add chives and artichoke hearts. Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl; add to pasta mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight. Stir well and serve on red lettuce leaves.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I like to use tortellini in my pasta salad. The last one I made was mushroom tortellini with sauteed onions & mushrooms (shitake, portobello, button, crimini), roasted red peppers & a vinaigrette. It turned out really good. You can mix it up depending on the tortellini & seasonal veggies.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Head Chef

Wow! Many thanks to everyone. Now I have a lot of good ideas.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Head Chef

We use the rotini, the spirals and make an antipasto pasta salad.

We add diced salami, mortadella, whatever other Italian meats we can find, cheeses, sliced olives (whichever you like and can find), the pickled red peppers from the jar, artichoke hearts, anything we can think of that one would include in an antipasto.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I have taken this to a get together before & it was a big hit with everybody

Pasta Salad with Southwestern Vinaigrette

1 pound cheese filled tricolor tortellini
1/2 pound salami, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 pound white cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 7 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
juice of 1 medium lime
1/4 medium red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and black pepper, to taste

Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Rinse in cold water and set aside. Place cut salami and cheese in large bowl. Slice roasted pepper into strips and add to bowl. Add grape tomatoes and cooled tortellini to bowl and toss. In food processor, place vinegar, lime juice, red onion, garlic, honey, cilantro and spinach. Pulse to combine. Add olive oil to feed tube with motor running. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. Pour vinaigrette over salad. Toss, cover and chill 30 minutes. Drain any extra vinaigrette before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Use tortellini instead of plain pasta. I don't care for tri-coloured tortellini, but that's your call.

Since it's autumn, why not incorporate the flavours of the season into your salad? Add toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, fresh thyme, chopped garlic, finely diced red onion, and crumbled bleu cheese. Try a balsamic/olive oil blend for your dressing. I never care for store bought italian dressings for pasta salad. The flavours are so strong that they completely mask the flavours of anything you can add to the salad.

Tags
None