ISO Raspberry Vinagerette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have two quarts of raspberries in my freezer. I have neutral sunflower oil, and EVOO. I have white vinager, rice vinager, balsamic, and finally apple cider vinager.

I don't have experience with how to make the flavored vinagerettes. I could experiment and come up with something good, but why re-invent the wheel. I know there is cosiderable talent on this site, so I'm picking your brains and talent. Anyody have a great version of this, my favorite salad dressing? I want to have salad tonight.

Thanks in advance.

The sky has just opened up. It's pouring here. The plants are happy again.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've made it many times, but with raspberry flavored vinegar only. With whole raspberries, probably the best thing to do is make a puree, then whisk/blend it into a basic vinaigrette. Because it's a puree, that would be the help to hold the emulsification together, so you would be able to cut back on the dijon mustard. I would probably use the white vinegar. The rice vinegar has a low acidity so it wouldn't emulsify as well. The apple cider and balsamic have strong individual flavors on their own so it might conflict with the raspberry flavor, unless you want that other flavor in there. The apple cider vinegar actually might go well together with the raspberries. The balsamic I would be a little more hesitant to use. For the oil I would use the sunflower, unless you want the to taste the subtle flavors of the extra virgin. If you have shallots then add those to the vinaigrette as well.

I'm with IC on making a puree first; you could even roast the raspberries first, to really concentrate the flavor. I've made it using apple cider vinegar, or Japanese rice vinegar, and it's fine; I find the white vinegar too overpowering. And yes to the safflower oil, too.

I'm trying to remember - I did a vanilla/pear dressing for a catering gig once - I think I used a half cup of puree, 1/3 cup of vinegar, (I used a pear vinegar I found at the store, but either of the above would do fine, I think), 2/3 cup oil, salt, pepper, and some minced shallot. I did add a shot of pear brandy, too - if you have some Chambord just lying around :mrgreen: a shot of that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom