"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Cold pasta salads are one of my faves. I'm trying to duplicate a salad I adore that I take out. It runs about $7.00 per pound. Some of the ingredients are:

Agnolitti (could probably sub with cheese stuffed ravioli or tortelinni - cooked and cooled)

Chopped tomatoes

Green onions

Big chunks of diced Mozzarella

Vinaigrette? - not sure of the dressing

Pine nuts is an ingredient I'm thinking about adding, or asparagus, but it is very filling on its own.

Pizza Pasta Salad

1 pound Rotini, Twists or Spirals, uncooked
3 oz. sliced pepperoni (about 3/4 cup)
4 oz. sliced Provolone cheese (about 1 cup)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup non-fat Italian salad dressing
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced into rings
Pita bread

Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, cut pepperoni slices into fourths and slice the Provolone cheese into matchstick-size pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add cherry tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, Italian dressing, Italian seasoning and garlic.

When pasta is done, drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again. Add pasta to cheese mixture and mix well. Quarter the pita bread rounds and place around a large platter. Top with pasta salad and garnish with green pepper rings.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Head Chef
Thanks so much. I got online this afternoon and these recipes just made my day.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Contest Winner
Just FYI, if you are trying to get in shape and/or lose weight, salads aren't your only option. Many entrees can be tailored to make them lower fat. For example, a nice veggie and shrimp stir fry can be made without oil by using a few tbsp of veggie stock in place of the oil. Serve it over fresh cooked rice and you have a super delicious, virtually fat free supper. (chili sauce, soy or teriyaki sauce will kick up the flavour)

Also, many creamy soups can be made without cream by simply pureeing part of the soup. Like a potato onion soup can be made with skim milk and partially pureed to make it smooth as silk.

Anyway, I have loads of more suggestions but I know you wanted salad recipes in this thread. I was just pointing out that you dont have to be a rabbit in order to eat healthy!

Also, in case you are not aware, some salads, depending on the dressing/vinegrette can be just as fattening as a hamburger! Veggies are good but if you drown them in olive oil you aren't lowering your caloric intake!
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by abjcooking
Thanks so much. I got online this afternoon and these recipes just made my day.
You're very welcome, abj. Glad you brought the topic up, as summer is rapidly approaching...and I love salad

Another thought, if you're grilling salmon, steak, chicken, etc., save the leftovers and add it to your salad. Other add ins:

mandarin oranges
strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
shredded beets
banana chips
red onions
cottage cheese

Hope you try the Agnolitti pasta salad. Let us know what you come up with.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Here's a refreshing little salad we're stuck on right now:

baby romaine (it's the best, the other baby lettuces are good but this is superb)!

On the romaine dice fresh mozzarella into cubes, tomatoes or just half or 1/3 grape tomatoes, thin slivered red onion, sliced almonds

the dressing is just Dijon mustard, lemon juice, this new thing I found Nakano's balsamic, rice wine vinegar combination dressing/marinade, and of course, olive oil, and pepper. The dressing/marinade has quite a bit of salt already.

It is so refreshing and the baby romaine is wonderful! The ingredients are simple and of course can be expounded upon. I have added the kirby cukes and left-over pork tenderloin slices. I can see where this would also be good with a smoked chicken (done beer can style).

Somewhere, and I may have posted it here, is a mesclun mix with strawberries, blueberries and almonds (can't recall if there's anything else) and the dressing is a white wine vinaigrette - if anyone wants it send me a PM and I will post it - I'm afraid with all the cooking going on tomorrow I'll forget about it. But a PM will remind me. It's a very refreshing salad full of riboflavins..

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #16
Master Chef
Now that the weather is warming for us northern types, we need to keep this line going. In other words, bump. But my husband's favorite is salad nicoise. I also make a lot of Mexican-inspired salads (so easy because you use a jarred salsa of your choice as the dressing), middle eastern salads, greek salads, orient-influenced salads. Remember that packaged taboule and couscous are so easy and make great salads. A lot of people don't think to use rice for a salad, and you can flavor it either Asian, Middle Eastern, Italian, or Greek and come up with great results. I like converted rice for rice salads. Keep a lot of pickled and marinaded vegetables in stock over the summer -- artichoke hearts, several kinds of olives, green peppecorns, capers -- A mustard with whole mustard seeds in it makes a great ingredient for dressings.

I make a basic Ranch type dressing that is in the fridge in a mason jar all the time. I can take out a few tablespoons of it and add different seasonings to give it different flavors. Ditto a basic oil-and-vinegar dressing. Both start out with packaged mixes (ranch with about 3/4 nonfat yogurt, 1/4 mayo; oil and vinegar with good seasons zesty, but excellent quality wine vinegars and olive or nut oils), then I segue and add seasonings to change the charactor of the dressings. In other words, the "ranch" I make can become thousand island for a meal, bleu cheese for another. The "Italian" I make can become Greek or the perfect topping for grilled veggies.

We will be living on salads soon.

Can you tell the weather suddenly warmed here?
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:33 AM   #17
Master Chef
Oh, for you midwesterners, my sis invented a salad for cheese curds that is a take-off on a traditional Italian salad:

A package of mozerella style cheese curds
A package of cherry tomatoes (I like to cut mine in half so my guests don't squirt each other, but then, maybe that is part of the fun!)
Italian salad dressing of your choice
If you have fresh herbs in the garden, go for it, but you really want some basil for this if you can get it.

Nowadays pesto is available in jars throughout the year, so you can buy a jar if you didnt' freeze some from your garden. Add a tablespoon of that to a tablespoon of a white wine vinegar and use that for a dressing.

There is somethign about those cheese curds and little tomatoes that they make a cute take on an old-fashioned salad.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote