"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Head Chef
ISO salad ideas

Well, it's diet time in this household again and my boyfriend has asked me to fix salad's for dinner several times a week. I am looking for some fresh ideas or some of your favorites (especially ones with meat) of salads so I don't get tired of them.

For example last night I made a salad of romaine with artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, tomato, red pepper, red onion with a red wine vinegarette topped with marinated london broil.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen
Your salad sounds fantastic!!!
Try some of these, abj: Main dish salads -

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Head Chef
That is exactly what I'm needing. I did a search on the salads but didn't seem to find what I wanted. Thank you. If anyone has any other ideas to add please post. I have a feeling we will be eating a lot of salads for the next several months.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 AM   #4
Hospitality Queen
Here are some more I've found in our archives:

Erik's Beachcomber Salad I'm tryin' to eat healthy these days. This is a killer way to eat a little better.
Beachcomber Salad (Serves 4):

1/2 lb Spring Mix Lettuce

12 oz Grilled Chicken Strips

12 oz Balsamic Vinegarette

3/4 c Bleu Cheese

1 Apple, cored, sliced into 8 pieces

1 c dried cranberries

Toss lettuce with Balsmic Vinegarette, distribute between 4 large salad bowls. Drizzle Bleu Cheese, evenly over all 4 salads, evenly distribute dried cranberries over salads, top salads with chicken, garnish each salad with 2 apple slices.

Ironchef's Arugula & Fuji Apple Salad w Manchego Cheese, Dried Cherry w Citrus Truffle Dressing Substitute the Fuji apples for whatever apples you get. Try and use the most crisp and firm apples for this salad.Serves 4

2 1/2 c. of Fresh Baby Arugula
2 Fuji Apples, cut into 1/4" Julienne (use Granny Smith's if you cannot find Fuji Apples)
1/2 c. Dried Cherries or Dried Cranberries
1/4 lb. Manchego or Similar nutty Cheese
Juice of one Lemon
*4 Tbsp. Truffle Oil
1 tsp. Kosher salt
Fresh cracked Pepper to taste

Combine Arugula, Apples, and Cherries into a cold mixing bowl. Sprinkle the salt, lemon juice, truffle oil and lightly toss. Even distribute onto salad plates. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the Manchego cheese over the salad. Serve with fresh cracked pepper.

*If you cannot find truffle oil, you can substitute a high quality Extra virgin Olive Oil to give a nice fruity flavor

(note from jkath - I bet grilled chicken would be a nice addition)

Kadesma's Roasted Onion and Salami Salad This makes a great luncheon salad with crusty rolls or would make a great addition to antipasto

Roasted Onion and Salami Salad
6-yellow onions unpeeled
12 or more leaves of romain or butter lettuce
1-1/2c.thinly sliced salami, I get dry salami
1/2-c. pitted oil-cured olives
1/3-c. evoo
2-3Tab. red wine vinegar
1-tea. dry mustard
1-clove crushed garlic
freshly cracked black pepper
preheat oven to 350
Place onions on a rack in baking pan and roast about 1 hour and 15 min. or til tender when pierced..Cool to room temp.
Peel onions and with sharp knife cut into 1/2inch thick slices. Seperate into rings as you work. Arrange on lettuce around the outer edge of of large platter and mound the rings in the middle. Lay the salami around the onions and sprinkle the olives over all..In a jar, shake together oil, vinegar,mustard, garlic salt and pepper. Pour over salad and serve.
Makes 6 servings

from Constance:
Fresh Green Bean and Tomato Salad
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
2 tomatoes, seeded and cut into quarters
2 hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters
1 can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
Several green onions, sliced
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle whip
Dash lemon juice
1 large head romaine or red leaf lettuce, washed and dried thoroughly

Blanch beans in a large pot of boiling, salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove to an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Drain beans and set aside. In the same pot of boiling water, blanch peas until slightly tender, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove peas to the ice water bath; drain and set aside.

Place beans, peas, tomatoes, eggs, water chestnuts, and green onions in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add mayonnaise and lemon juice and stir to combine. Serve over lettuce leaves.

*Note: I think some crumbled bacon would be awfully good in this.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen
(sorry - it doubled my post)
Old 04-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Master Chef
A favorite of ours is a mix to taste of cubed smoked or regular cooked chicken or turkey, cubed smoked Gouda cheese, red &/or green seedless grapes, pecan or walnut pieces, salt & pepper to taste, all bound together with just enough mayo to bind everything together.

Serve over your choice of fresh greens.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
abj, if a plain salad isn't doing it for ya after a while, try adding noodles and sashimi, japanese style. in order to stay on the healthy side, use soba noodles.

boil soba, let cool. make a bed of crisp romaine lettuce, top with a healthy twist of soba noodles. make a dressing out of japanese fish sauce, soy sauce, ginger, and rice vinegar. dress noodles with the sauce. top noodles with alternating layers of salmon and tuna sashimi, and thin sliced (half moon shaped) tomato and cucumber. sprinkle sesame seeds over everything.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen
another double? What's up with this?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Along the lines of a meat salad...

Steak/Roast Beef Salad

2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/3 cup Olive Oil
3 1/2 cups thinly sliced cooked roast beef or grilled flank steak (1 1/2 lbs.) cut into 2-inch strips
1 lb. small red potatoes, cooked and sliced
1/2 lb. fresh green beans, steamed until crisp tender
1 jar (6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
green onions, sliced, including tops

Whisk together vinegar, mustard, pepper and garlic powder. Slowly add oil, beating constantly. Place beef strips in large salad bowl; add dressing and toss. Add remaining ingredients and gently toss before serving. Arrange bed of lettuce on individual plates and serve steak salad over top.

You could use leftover roast beef or pick up some roast beef from the deli.

Steak Salad
Serving Size:4

1 loaf (10 ounces) frozen garlic bread
4 seasoned strip steaks (9 ounces each)
2 bunches watercress, trimmed
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 basket cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can (7 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Bake garlic bread according to package directions. Meanwhile, rub steaks with all but 1 tablespoon Steak Seasoning. Cook steaks to desired doneness. Set steaks aside to cool slightly, then thinly slice crosswise.

Divide watercress equally among 4 plates and arrange steak slices over watercress. Scatter onion slices, tomato halves and artichoke hearts over steak slices. Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables. Cut warm garlic bread into 4 equal pieces and place atop vegetables.

Salami Salad with Tomatoes and Mozzarella
Serving Size:8

1 pound salami, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
6 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 pound mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil, for drizzling
Vinegar, for drizzling

In a large bowl, combine salami, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and toss well.

You could add cooked rotini/spiral pasta and seve chilled.

One of my favorites - Nicoise

Crab Salad Nicoise

4 medium boiling potatoes
1 lb. green beans, cut into 2-in. lengths
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tlb. chives or green onion, thinly sliced
salt & pepper, to taste
1 head butter lettuce leaves
1 Ib. crabmeat
1/4 cup small ripe black olives
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and cool 10 minutes. Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks and place in a shallow dish. Cook beans in boiling water 10 minutes or until tender; drain and cool 10 minutes. Add to potatoes.

Combine oil, vinegar, chives, salt and pepper in a small jar with tight-fitting lid. Shake well and pour two thirds of the dressing over potatoes, and beans. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or up to 24 hours, stirring occasionally.

Arrange lettuce on four plates and spoon potato/string bean mixture on top. Divide crabmeat among the plates and garnish with olives and tomatoes. Drizzle remaining dressing on top.

You could use tuna or shrimp in place of crab.

Other ideas:

Waldorf or Cobb salads

Strawberry Spinach salad - add in grilled chicken strips
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef
S'more salad:

Shrimp Caesar Salad with Basil Pesto Crostini

1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
8 slices (1/2-inch-thick) diagonally cut French bread baguette
Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
4 teaspoons basil pesto
8 cups Italian-blend salad greens (about 1 1/2 [10-ounce] bags)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; cover buttermilk mixture, and chill.

Coat both sides of bread with cooking spray. Place on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 for 5 minutes on each side. Spread 1/2 teaspoon pesto on one side of each slice of bread.

Combine greens and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Add buttermilk dressing; toss well to coat. Serve with crostini.

Caprese Pasta Salad

1 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
10 oz fresh mozzarella, cut in bite-size pieces
1 small bunch basil, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound penne
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large bowl (large enough to contain the pasta), place the tomatoes, mozzarella, garlic, basil and drizzle with half of the olive oil.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, add salt and the penne. Cook according to package instructions. Drain and run cold water over the pasta.

Once the pasta is cooled, drain well again removing excess water. Pour into the bowl with the tomato and mozzarella mixture. Add the rest of the olive oil (you may need to add more if pasta looks too dry), season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Keep in the refrigerator for hour before serving.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote