ISO: Wine Vinegars help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I often see recipes that call for champagne vinegar or sherry vinegar. I can't fine either in my local market. Can I substitute white wine vinegar and ed wine vinegar for these?

I could see subbing white wine vinegar for champagne vinegar but red for sherry is more of a stretch.

However, I'd guess that recipes would not be ruined or even lessened in quality by a substitution. What you are losing is the flavor the recipe creator was trying to achieve.

red wine vinegar would give you a completely different tasting dish from using sherry - but, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You might have to compensate with seasoning for the loss of that distinct flavor sherry (and marsala) have.

I wish sherry vinegar was more readily available. I get mine at Williams Sonoma.

:) I love sherry vinegar for cooking it is hard to find but you can get it online and usually at upper scale grocery stores.When you do find it stock up.Cheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet

SHERRY VINEGAR

Order Online at the #1 Source for Gourmet Food and Gift Baskets

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Buy Sherry Vinegar online from igourmet.com! Please visit our online store and go shopping at the number one imported food delivery service in the USA. Solera 77 Sherry Vinegar is carefully crafted in Cadiz, Spain. Perfect as a gift or for personal use, this gourmet vinegar enhances meats, vegetables, dressings and sauces. When searching for gourmet food online, look no further than igourmet.com.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Start Shopping[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simply visit our online store to BUY IT NOW. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Traditional Sherry Vinegar Recipes [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]igourmet.com lists thousands of recipes online, many of which include Sherry Vinegar as an ingredient. To browse our Recipe Forum, click HERE.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your #1 Online Sherry Vinegar Shopping Resource [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Every gourmet food product on sale at igourmet.com is accompanied by a long story about its history in relation to food culture. Authentic Spanish Sherry Vinegar is just one prime example of the types of truly desirable gourmet items available on igourmet.com. To view a complete listing of all gourmet foods available online at igourmet, or to buy, please click HERE.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom