"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'll look for it. Cost Plus World Market is opening here this week, I will scan their shelves before looking online.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Never heard of or seen black chickpeas, sure am interested in that. What is
black vinegar"? I need something for the soda stream water, too!
Not sure if they are the same thing but black peas are something of a Lancashire tradition
Black peas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incidentally, re the reference in the above link to Stalybridge Station, if you've ever seen the film "Yanks" (Richard Gere - be still my beating heart!)you'll have seen a bit of the station. The scenes at the end of the film when the GIs are moving out to go to the front were filmed at Stalybridge Station.

The location shots for the film were done in the area around where I used to live. S/bridge was the next town over from the one I lived in and Dobcross, where much of the outside action took place is up in the hills above Oldham.

Sorry, off the point.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have Chinese black vinegar. Maybe CWS is referring to that. It has an interesting, complex flavor.
That's it and it is my new favorite for my soda stream water. Black chickpeas are usually sold dry in Indian markets. Supposedly one can buy them canned, but I've only seen dry. There is also black chickpea flour.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Black chickpeas might be labeled Desi, Bengal gram, or kala chana. Supposedly they are good to include in a diabetic diet--low GL index. Not the same as black beans, they are chick peas. There are also green dry chickpeas. I haven't tried those yet either.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks for the recipe, GG. It sounds good. I just made something similar to this last week but used orzo, cuz that's what I had on hand, and added some leftover chopped artichoke hearts I needed to use up. Copied and pasted. I need to buy some couscous, I know I've seen it at Albertsons.

Tags
couscous, grill, recipe, salad, vegetables, vinaigrette

Israeli Couscous with Grilled Vegetables and Vinaigrette [B]Israeli Couscous with Grilled Vegetables and Vinaigrette[/B] Couscous 1 cup Israeli couscous 1 1/2 cups chicken broth 2 cloves garlic, minced (divided use) Vegetables 1 onion, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick (divided use) 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and quartered 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered Vinaigrette 1/4 cup champagne or white wine vinegar 1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp. fresh thyme -- minced 1 tbsp. fresh parsley -- minced 1/2 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. black pepper Chop one quarter of the onion. In a saucepan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil and saute one clove minced garlic (reserve other clove for dressing) and the chopped onion. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and cook till couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Toss remaining onion and peppers with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill 8-10 minutes or until tender. Dice into 1/4-inch pieces. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper and reserved minced garlic. Whisking constantly, drizzle oil into dressing. Combine couscous with grilled vegetables; drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Servings: 6 3 stars 1 reviews