Italian Panzanella Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Italian Panzanella Salad

4 cups stale (1 to 3 day-old bread) Italian bread, cut into 1/2" cubes*
1 tablespoon capers, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 anchovy fillets, diced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar**
2 cups fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup diced red peppers
1/4 cup diced yellow peppers
1/4 cup Kalamata or Nicoise olives, pitted
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

* Use sturdy, coarse, rustic-style white bread cut into 1/2-" thick slices.

** Balsamic vinegar may be substituted or combined with the red wine vinegar.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the bread cubes on a large baking sheet in a single layer; dry in oven approximately 10 minutes.

Using a mortar and pestle, mash the capers, garlic and anchovies until you have a smooth paste. Place in a large bowl. Whisk the olive oil and red wine vinegar into the anchovy paste until combined. Add the toasted bread cubes and toss thoroughly. Add tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, red peppers, yellow peppers, olives, basil, coarse salt, and pepper. Toss the ingredients gently to coat; let stand for at least a half-hour

Panzanella can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for several hours. Remove from refrigerator an hour or so before serving and bring to room temperature. Before serving, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
Makes 12 cups.

ICadvisor said:
I love this salad, I make a slight variation all the time, heck I leave bread out to go stale just to make it!
You too? I buy an extra ciabatta which I leave out just so I can make this salad...Now that my tomatoes are ripe and ready, I've had this almost every day for lunch.. I just do it easy, tomato, stale bread, parsley, red onion, evoo, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper...nothing fancy, but I like the taste of the home grown tomatoes the sun have ripened..
kadesma:)

Constance, that's a nice looking recipe. Have you ever tried roasting the peppers as well? For another added twist, try grating fresh Ricotta Salata in place of the Parmesan. You can ask KElf to FedEx some. I heard through the grapevine that she may have a surplus.

Ironchef, I love roasted peppers, and every time my husband starts up the gas grill, I put some peppers on just so I'll have some leftover ones to use.
In regard to the bread, I have never seen any ciabatta around here...French Bread is the best I can do.

Last edited:
ironchef said:
You can ask KElf to FedEx some. I heard through the grapevine that she may have a surplus.

LMAO - We went through one wedge of it last night - all around the Ricotta Salata were champagne grapes, raspberries, and blueberries - then I made a goat cheese, pesto, roasted pepper mixture so everyone wouldn't have to make their one - so the Ricotta Salata is dwindling - it's kinda good so I bet you'd have to really give me a lot of karma to get some!!! :mrgreen:

I am a roasted red pepper finatic!!!! I love it in Panzanella. Constance - I think you just gave me a dinner idea for tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom