"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 10-20-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
Cook

Japanese Ginger Salad

Hey guys, i love sushi, and i love the japanese ginger salad they serve before they serve sushi. Does anyone a really good tradinitional japanese ginger salad recipe? thanks u guys!

Old 10-20-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Executive Chef

If you mean the ginger dressing on a salad, this was given to me by the sushi chef at a Hibachi type restaurant; I've seen different variations on this, but this is pretty basic.

JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE DRESSING

cup oil
1/3 cup catsup
5T onion
3T minced ginger
3T celery
2tsp. lemon juice
3T Japanese rice vinegar
2tsp. lemon peel
4tsp. soy sauce
tsp. salt
tsp. pepper
cup shredded carrot

Combine onion, celery, carrot, ginger, lemon peel in food processor and process to a puree; add oil a little at a time as needed; remove from processor, add everything else and mix.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Cook

Thanks marmalady, im suprised they use ketchup though. it seems a bit odd. Ill try it out. thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I think that would rock over top of some steamed veggies or even just some rice noodles Have you tried it marmalady? If so what did you put it on?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Cook

do you mean pickled ginger? i make my own by slicing ginger as thin as i can get it, and then boiling some rice wine vinegar and an equal amount of sake, a bit of sugar and salt, add the ginger to the liquid, and put it in the fridge until it is pickly.

they also sell this stuff in jars, but i dont like to buy it because i am picky about preservatives.

marmalady i have a very similair dressing recipe that i use all the time that also has toasted sesame oil... i got mine from a friend who worked at a sushi restaraunt, i liked the dressing that the restaraunt served so much that i begged her for the recipe.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes, I've put a little sesame oil - not too much! in mine sometimes.

Ketchup - yes, it seems weird, but this is a fairly 'westernized' Japanese recipe, first developed by the Benihana guys when they opened the first hibachi style restaurants in the US. SO not a deeply 'traditional' style recipe. Japanese do love ketchup, tho, and mayo!
I've only used it with salads, but it would be great with cold noodles, or maybe some stir-fried green beans? Hamm, now you've got me going!

Tags
None