"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Our son-in-law's aunt, LA natives, uses leftover potatoes and onions from a crawfish/shrimp boil to make potato salad We use them plus the corn and Andouille to make "boil soup," i.e. potato soup with a punch.

Katie's recipe sounds great though if you don't have the leftovers to start with. I'll have to copy and send it to my SIL since he misses his aunt's potato salad. I'd imagine Craig wouldn't mind trying it either.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

your forgetting one very important ingredient its missing regular onions to complete the trinity mix cant be Cajun without it also garlic wouldn't hurt. but looks good

Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn25 View Post
your forgetting one very important ingredient its missing regular onions to complete the trinity mix cant be Cajun without it also garlic wouldn't hurt. but looks good
That may be your opinion and true in your household, but I seriously doubt every Cajun cook would not find green onions an acceptable substitute for a milder onion flavor.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

there's nothing wrong with using green onions but its no substitute flavors are different Sorry I meant no offense

Tags
cajun, potato, recipe, salad

Katie's Cajun Potato Salad - TNT I was asked on the "What are you doing?" thread to post my recipe, so here it is. It's my own creation and I've tweaked it here and there to give it the "bite" we like in our house. This last time I made it, today, I used my own homemade mayonnaise I already had on hand and it really seemed to make a nice difference. I also tried [I]Inglehoffer Sweet Hot Pepper Mustard[/I] for the mustard, which gave the dressing the heat and bite I wanted in addition to the taste remaining from the liquid crab boil and the Cajun/Creole seasoning. Enjoy!! [CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT="] [/FONT][/B] [FONT=Verdana][B]KATIE’S CAJUN POTATO SALAD[/B][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana](Serves 4 to 6)[/FONT][/CENTER] [/CENTER] [FONT=Verdana]2 lbs. small red potatoes, scrubbed[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] and cut into bite-sized cubes[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chilled[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]¼ tsp. coarse kosher salt[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]1 to 2 Tbsp. liquid crab boil[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]1½ tsp. Cajun/Creole seasoning[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]1 bunch chopped green onions, tops included[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]¼ cup chopped celery[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]½ cup chopped green pepper[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]½ cup real bacon bits[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]1 cup real mayonnaise, [I]not[/I] salad[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] dressing[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]2 tsp. hot and spicy mustard[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Place cubed potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add kosher salt and crab boil liquid. Cover and boil until just tender but not soft. Drain thoroughly and set aside to cool thoroughly. Refrigerate if you wish.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]To assemble potato salad, in a large bowl combine Cajun/Creole seasoning, green onions, celery, green pepper, bacon bits, mayonnaise and spicy mustard. Stir to mix well.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Add cooled potatoes and toss to coat with seasoned mixture. Check for salt and pepper, adding some if necessary. Coarsely chop eggs and gently fold into potato salad. Chill thoroughly before serving. This salad tastes best if “aged” overnight in the refrigerator.[/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews