"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Head Chef

Yum! Looks like your assortment would compliment my pesto tonight . I have been tempted so often to grow lettuce but honestly, I don't know how to cut it!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
They all look wonderful! I would have never thought to add the sage - yum! I think I'm going to try the red one this weekend with some blue cheese crumbles.

I think we should just swap fridges .
Oh--we could start a virtual swap fridge thread and see what others would do with the ingredients we have in the fridge!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Yum! Looks like your assortment would compliment my pesto tonight . I have been tempted so often to grow lettuce but honestly, I don't know how to cut it!
Thanks for sharing!
I love how the lettuce reseeded from last year. It's easy to 'cut'. I just break them off (not pull) and leave the roots and they keep growing. Just cut them off with your fingernail or a scissors, the largest leaves. Within 24 hours they recover and the smaller leaves get bigger and the plant sends up new leaves.
Pesto sounds great, I'll have to think on what I could pesto tomorrow (basil/and oil ready in the freezer). Thank you for the idea!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh--we could start a virtual swap fridge thread and see what others would do with the ingredients we have in the fridge!
Great idea. My fridge is almost cleaned out--shopping day is Monday!!! I've minimized my condiments this past year, maybe time to stock up again. Ask me tomorrow, I'll join in a virtual swap fridge thread.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Head Chef

I am disappointed with my lettuce crop this year. My first planting failed to germinate. (Note to self--lettuce seed may germinate the second year after opening the pack, but not the third.) Second got washed out by torrential rains. Third grew, but the temp has gone up into the 90's and it is bolting almost before it is big enough to pick.

I make my Mama's wilted lettuce salad--I think I could live on that.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

Lettuce Wraps (last night)

Baked a chicken and took 1/2 the meat off the bone, and diced it.
Added:
Shredded: 4 carrots, onion, 4 broccoli stems, and celery tops tossed with a little oil and baked 45 minutes to tender (about 2 and 1/2 cups)
2 cups of cooked rice
1 and 1/2 cups chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chicken juices

I rolled up the filling in lettuce leaves. I found the romaine leaf the only ones big enough but the stems would break and tear--so, I crushed/creased the stem with my thumbnail every 1/4 to 1/8th inch along it's length and then it worked beautifully for rolling.

Two sauces:

Orange sauce: cornstarch, fresh orange juice (2 oranges), orange zest, lemon juice, water-and heated on the stove until thickened.

Soy/garlic/ginger sauce: Soy, garlic, ginger, oil, cornstarch-heated on the stove until it thickened.

They liked them, especially with the orange sauce (or the orange sauce with just a touch of the soy based sauce). We froze the remaining filling in small containers to make these again, or use it with egg roll wrappers in the future.

It was a cool light (salady) meal on a hot day. I just went into the kitchen with the camera thinking I'd make a nice plate with a few dabs of the sauces to show you all........and my son must have eaten the leftovers already last night!

Tonight we'll have a regular lettuce salad with all three lettuces with stuffed tomatoes--not sure what I'll be stuffing them with though. Ricotta something?

Tags
dressing, lettuce, recipe, salad, tomato

Last night's salad - tonight's salad Last night's salad was: Green lettuce from the garden steamed and cooled asparagus in 1 inch pieces small slices of tomato 3 T cottage cheese (set to the side) salted roasted sunflower seeds dressing: in a blender until smooth 1/2 cup ketchup 1/2 cup vinegar 1 cup oil 1 yellow onion 2 T sweet paprika 1/2 cup sugar 1 T salt Any ideas for tomorrow? 3 stars 1 reviews