"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Head Chef

Like Twice Baked Potatoes? This Potato Salad is for you!

Twice Baked Potato Salad

5 Russet potatoes
2-3 green onions, chopped
3/4 to 1 cup cooked crumbled bacon
1-2 small sweet red or yellow pepper (optional)
1 tsp seasoning salt
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Ranch dressing (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream

Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees for about 1 hour or until done.
I like to brush the skins with butter halfway through. Let cool, then dice, skins and all. (I suppose you could remove the skins, but they add a lot of flavor to the dish.)
Mix remaining ingredients, then combine with the potatoes. Adjust to taste and desired creaminess.
(I also like to very lightly mash the taters before I mix in the flavorings.)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds good!!!! ~~copy & paste~~

Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

You've inspired me. Though I won't follow your recipe, (It's just not in me to take a recipe as is. I have to make it my own.)I will follow the idea of your recipe and include some things like Ranch dressing and sour cream, items I've never put in my potato salad before. Oh, and there will be home made bacon crumbles in there too. Thanks for the ideas.

Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Whether or not it tastes good... it's not twice baked, so why do you call it twice baked? Why not just call it half baked?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Whether or not it tastes good... it's not twice baked, so why do you call it twice baked? Why not just call it half baked?
Bad, bad, bad. It's off to granny's woodshed for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

Well it can't be Half baked, because the taters were completely done; I checked; burnt the dermis right off the old digits!
That said, Half Baked would be a good name for it if you cut the taters down the middle first.
That said, I will fall back on my Mom's sage advice (when she had Thyme to give me any, that is....) it takes a half baked to know a half baked!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Master Chef

Years ago I worked in a deli that sold something quite simular. They called it baked potato salad, but they didn't put bacon in it. Your recipe sounds delish, must make this real soon. Bacon always makes everything better!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

GF, I love your flavour combinations, and whatever you choose to call it, I am sure it is tasty!

I make a baked potato salad which consists of baked (just once) potatoes, cheddar cheese, green onions, (real) bacon bits, sour cream and salt & pepper. I have used this as an appie at weddings and luncheons by cutting the skins in bite-sized triangles, tossing in oil, salt and pepper, and baking until crisp. At serving time I scoop the salad on the skins and serve.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

This is called Twice Baked because, aside from the second baking and the creaming of the taters, it is the same as making Twice Baked potatoes.
For those, you would bake the taters, cut in half, scoop out the meat, mix in the liquid and spice components, mash the taters, mix in the other ingredients, place back in the skins, top with cheese and bake again till the cheese melted.

Lets call them "Tastes Like A Twice Baked Potato, But Isn't Technically Because It Hasn't Been Baked Twice" Potato Salad.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
This is called Twice Baked because, aside from the second baking and the creaming of the taters, it is the same as making Twice Baked potatoes.
For those, you would bake the taters, cut in half, scoop out the meat, mix in the liquid and spice components, mash the taters, mix in the other ingredients, place back in the skins, top with cheese and bake again till the cheese melted.

Lets call them "Tastes Like A Twice Baked Potato, But Isn't Technically Because It Hasn't Been Baked Twice" Potato Salad.
GF this sounds wonderful, and BTW I got it... It has the same flavor profiles as a twice baked potato, so I vote you stick to your original name... I like it!!!

Tags
None