Low Carb Cole Slaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Sugaring off"? What does that mean?
"Sugaring off" is a party held at a sugar shack. It's held in Spring when the maple producers collect and process maple sap into syrup and sugar. It's a big deal here in Quebec. The sugar shacks serve a big breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages, toast, beans, and sometimes "cretons" (a Quebec specialty: a pork spread containing onions and spices) and lots of maple syrup. There is usually maple taffy on snow.

I remember when peaches were like that - soft and exploding with juices. You can't find that anymore. Now peaches are as hard as or harder than apples with no juice.

In our area we have Chambersburg Peaches that are soft and the juice runs down your chin when you bite into them. They are only sold at a few places and they are the only peaches I will buy. I'm not sure, but I believe they are called Chambersburg because of being originally grown in Chambersburg PA, but the name of them is actually Red Haven.

Tax Lady - I thought Sugar Shack was just a song from back in the 60's. Now I know what a sugar shack really is. Thanks!

PF - My mother's gripe was that my father put ketchup over everything she cooked. I like ketchup on some weird things, but not like my dad did.

Mad Cook
- For the first time I am starting to understand my aversion to sweets. My grandparents were Brits so it's in the blood. I don't like any sugary glaze on my ham, I don't like candied sweet potatoes. I love them baked, but with just a hint of butter...no cinnamon, brown sugar or marshmallows. I enjoy tasting what the food tastes like.

Back
Top Bottom