"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_722 View Post
What good does that do for the flavor of the noodles?
I'm told that the ONLY time that noodles absorb flavor is during the cooking process............. could be wrong, but that's what I hear constantly from my fave "chefs"

Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
I'm told that the ONLY time that noodles absorb flavor is during the cooking process............. could be wrong, but that's what I hear constantly from my fave "chefs"
so then adding celery seed or dill weed should help flavor the noodles, like we know adding salt does...right?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post

You should try making the famous SESAME NOODLES recipe. You start with cooked noodles sitting in a pool of sesame oil, rice vinegar, etc. then you keep tossing it every five minutes and magically all the liquid has been absorbed by the noodles. Besides, it tastes great!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You should try making the famous SESAME NOODLES recipe. You start with cooked noodles sitting in a pool of sesame oil, rice vinegar, etc. then you keep tossing it every five minutes and magically all the liquid has been absorbed by the noodles. Besides, it tastes great!
sesame noodles - a fine spicy hot weather choice too, soo good! never tried making them myself before--you make it sound easy though....
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's the recipe. It's listed in two different quantities.

ISO Sesame Noodles
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

ISO Sesame Noodles
i hope you know that i'm going to have to buy every one of the ingredients in this recipe in order to make my sesame noodles! s'okay though, i'll have everything i need to make them again the next times--thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
so then adding celery seed or dill weed should help flavor the noodles, like we know adding salt does...right?
I guess--it is just what we've always done when making pasta salads (or potato salads, or spaghetti...or other pasta dishes. I thought everyone did this).

Hmmm--guess my grandma was a better cook than I thought, and she was a DARNED good cook. baker, maker of pickles, etc. Not to mention, she was the best fisherman when we went fishing. She always caught the most walleye. And, she had a very green thumb. Oh--could I like to think it is genetic and I inherited some of that!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of pasta salads--I used to be able to buy Cora's ring pasta. I haven't seen that for years (I have been hoarding my last box). Is it still available? (I haven't googled to find that--I did find a source for Swedish Brown Beans and have ordered some for when I'm in MN).
Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #39
Executive Chef

with all this hot weather we've been having, i find myself making macaroni salad for the third time in two weeks. the problem i'm having seems so basic that i'm embarrassed to reveal it even in this friendly forum. when boiling the pasta for the salad, i don't ever know how much i will need. sometimes, 1/2 lb. is all i need, other times 1 lb. is not enough to make a large bowl of macaroni salad. what causes the pasta to swell a lot or hardly at all - amount of water, brand of pasta, cooking time, what? i actually prefer the macaronis to stay small, but i mainly just need to know in advance how my pasta is going to behave....
Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

ISO Sesame Noodles
C and P in my Recipe Box. Thanks Andy!

Tags
salad