"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Marinated Eggplant

Okay--I think I've figured out the marinade for the marinated eggplant that the local perogie place sells. Just not sure if I should roast the egg plant or put it in a strainer (shoestring) and salt it for 30 minutes?
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Okay--test # 2 is:

1/4 c white vinegar
1/4 c vodka (Absolut--but I would think any vodka would do)
1/4 c water
1/4 c (or so) of white sugar
3-4 T fresh dill, chopped
1large eggplant (julienne, skin on, seeded), "sweated" with some Kosher salt for about 30 minutes
juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced in rings
2 cloves garlic
freshly ground pepper

Mixed all the marinade ingredients together, including the minced garlic (only eggplant and onion not part of that). Rinsed the eggplant, squeezed the moisture out (layered onions and eggplant in a dish, poured marinade over it, added 3-4 sprigs of more dill, covered the concoction, now it is marinading in the fridge). This one "tastes" more like the one sold at the perogie shop than the one I made earlier (same process, except I had 1/2 c vinegar, no vodka, and used the Bullet Magic to chop the dill--not recommended). We'll see what these taste like tomorrow! Wondering if I should add some fresh mint...I love eggplant and really like this "side" that is available at the local Perogie shop in Ottawa--the owner won't share the recipe.My hands smell like dill--I love the smell of dill!
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
I think I found DC looking for a recipe for this last January. I think CharlieD tried to help figure it out...we never did, this is my best effort.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--test # 2 is:

1/4 c white vinegar
1/4 c vodka (Absolut--but I would think any vodka would do)
1/4 c water
1/4 c (or so) of white sugar
3-4 T fresh dill, chopped
1large eggplant (julienne, skin on, seeded), "sweated" with some Kosher salt for about 30 minutes
juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced in rings
2 cloves garlic
freshly ground pepper

Mixed all the marinade ingredients together, including the minced garlic (only eggplant and onion not part of that). Rinsed the eggplant, squeezed the moisture out (layered onions and eggplant in a dish, poured marinade over it, added 3-4 sprigs of more dill, covered the concoction, now it is marinading in the fridge). This one "tastes" more like the one sold at the perogie shop than the one I made earlier (same process, except I had 1/2 c vinegar, no vodka, and used the Bullet Magic to chop the dill--not recommended). We'll see what these taste like tomorrow! Wondering if I should add some fresh mint...I love eggplant and really like this "side" that is available at the local Perogie shop in Ottawa--the owner won't share the recipe.My hands smell like dill--I love the smell of dill!
Sounds like the makings of a tasty concoction.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--I think I've figured out the marinade for the marinated eggplant that the local perogie place sells. Just not sure if I should roast the egg plant or put it in a strainer (shoestring) and salt it for 30 minutes?
I would salt it to get the liquid and bitterness out of the eggplant.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
lifesaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast Kansas
Posts: 4,423
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--test # 2 is:

1/4 c white vinegar
1/4 c vodka (Absolut--but I would think any vodka would do)
1/4 c water
1/4 c (or so) of white sugar
3-4 T fresh dill, chopped
1large eggplant (julienne, skin on, seeded), "sweated" with some Kosher salt for about 30 minutes
juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced in rings
2 cloves garlic
freshly ground pepper

Mixed all the marinade ingredients together, including the minced garlic (only eggplant and onion not part of that). Rinsed the eggplant, squeezed the moisture out (layered onions and eggplant in a dish, poured marinade over it, added 3-4 sprigs of more dill, covered the concoction, now it is marinading in the fridge). This one "tastes" more like the one sold at the perogie shop than the one I made earlier (same process, except I had 1/2 c vinegar, no vodka, and used the Bullet Magic to chop the dill--not recommended). We'll see what these taste like tomorrow! Wondering if I should add some fresh mint...I love eggplant and really like this "side" that is available at the local Perogie shop in Ottawa--the owner won't share the recipe.My hands smell like dill--I love the smell of dill!
WOW!
__________________
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
I tasted it today--I think the eggplant needs to "pickle" some more in the marinade. But, otherwise (being that the eggplant isn't as soft as the eggplant in the one I've bought at the perogie place, it tastes "right".) 24-48 hours more?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would salt it to get the liquid and bitterness out of the eggplant.
I've read that it is the seeds that makes it bitter...so that's why I removed the seeds--these were big eggplants.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,399
Note to self: Must try soon. Sonds really good. Is that that place I called and they would not devulge the recipe?
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
MostlyWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 959
I want to make this !!!
__________________

__________________
IF ONLY 1/3 OF YOUR CLOTHES ARE A MISTAKE, YOU’RE AHEAD OF THE GAME.
NORA EPHRON
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, eggplant

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.