May be a repeat of a request, Chinese Chicken salads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
That's it. I've had it. I am sick of looking online and in my multitude of cookbooks for an incredible chinese chicken salad recipe. There are as many variations as hairs on my head, and believe me, I have more than anyone I know.
Please help me with submitting your best and favorite chinese chicken salad recipe so I can start doing one every few weeks until I get the perfect one for our palette. Thank you.
I don't know if this has been done or asked for, if it has, can someone point me to the link, thanks.​

I found these two here. I know I've made Chinese chicken salad before but I must have just winged it - no recipe anywhere! Sorry. (cilantro, soy, toasted/dark sesame oil, napa cabbage, red peppers (sweet), lime juice, sesame seeds, spring onion, celery, carrot spirals - whatever ingredients look they belong in the sauce I heated and then thickened with a cornstarch slurry. Tossed everything together and topped with some grilled teriyaki dipped grilled chicken).

LEFSElover said:
That's it. I've had it. I am sick of looking online and in my multitude of cookbooks for an incredible chinese chicken salad recipe. There are as many variations as hairs on my head, and believe me, I have more than anyone I know.
Please help me with submitting your best and favorite chinese chicken salad recipe so I can start doing one every few weeks until I get the perfect one for our palette. Thank you.
I don't know if this has been done or asked for, if it has, can someone point me to the link, thanks.​
I love this one:

Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces, marinated (see below)
  • 1/2 lb. thin spaghetti, broken in half
  • 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 cup spinach, torn into small pieces
  • 1 roasted sweet red pepper (see below), or 1/2 7-oz. jar roasted sweet red pepper, sliced thin and cut into 1-inch long pieces
  • 2 tbsp. snipped chives
Chicken Marinade: Whisk together 1 tbsp. of each of the following:
  • minced fresh ginger
  • minced fresh garlic
  • minced fresh chives
  • sherry
  • soy sauce
  • water
Roasted Sweet Red Pepper: Halve, core, and seed pepper; flatten with your hand. Broil 3 inches away from broiler flame on cookie sheet for 8 minutes, until skin is charred black. Remove from oven and place in a plastic bag for 15 minutes to steam; pull off skin.

Prepare marinade; marinate chicken for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Toss with sesame oil and soy sauce and refrigerate until chicken is ready.

Pour chicken with marinade into hot wok or large skillet and stir-fry until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Mix chicken, spinach, roasted red pepper, and chives into spaghetti. Chill several hours or overnight.

Last edited:
You can read the history of Chinese Chicken Salad, and the two "schools" of thought, along with one recipe and a reference to the original cookbook that contains the other original recipe, here ---> Chinese Chicken Salad

Caine said:
You can read the history of Chinese Chicken Salad, and the two "schools" of thought, along with one recipe and a reference to the original cookbook that contains the other original recipe, here ---> Chinese Chicken Salad
I was just directed there from another food site.
It won't let you open Madame Wu's recipe though, rats, the other one doesn't appeal to me...
thanks for helping me each of you, I know I'll come up with something that knocks my socks off.........

Here is a recipe for dynamite Chicken salad you will have to decreese the
amount but it is my favorite... 8 cups sugar, 8 cups soy sauce, 8 cups rice wine vinegar, 3 TBL of red pepper flakes(pizzapepper)4 ounces of garlic chili paste, 3 ounces of grated fresh ginger,1/2 ounce of dark sesame oil,8 cup canola oil, shake well before each use.. use as a marinade for chicken and as a dressing for asian chicken salad. In a large salad mixing bowl red and yellow, and green bell peppers julianne, sliced pea pods on a bias,toasted cashews,diced light and dark diced, place on a bed of fresh salad greens and dress with a little Asian dressing and top with fried julienn won ton wrappers. serve with a wedge of melon and a slice of sweet bread Banana bread-zuccini bread this is a gold medal winner

Dave Hutchins said:
Here is a recipe for dynamite Chicken salad you will have to decreese the
amount but it is my favorite... 8 cups sugar, 8 cups soy sauce, 8 cups rice wine vinegar, 3 TBL of red pepper flakes(pizzapepper)4 ounces of garlic chili paste, 3 ounces of grated fresh ginger,1/2 ounce of dark sesame oil,8 cup canola oil, shake well before each use.. use as a marinade for chicken and as a dressing for asian chicken salad. In a large salad mixing bowl red and yellow, and green bell peppers julianne, sliced pea pods on a bias,toasted cashews,diced light and dark diced, place on a bed of fresh salad greens and dress with a little Asian dressing and top with fried julienn won ton wrappers. serve with a wedge of melon and a slice of sweet bread Banana bread-zuccini bread this is a gold medal winner
boy Dave, who do you make such a huge batch for?:huh: That'd feed an army. Thanks for the help, this just in, a girlfriend of mine just sen this to me, she swears it's top shelf flavor-wise. I gotta read it better...:-p

Chinese Chicken Salad

Oil
*1/2 c (2 oz.) lightly packed rice sticks
*1 can Asian crispy noodles
2 c cooked chicken
3 1/2 c shredded lettuce
2 c shredded cabbage, green or red
1/2 c lightly packed cilantro sprigs
3 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 T sesame seeds, toasted

Heat oil into a heavy 8” or 10” skillet to a depth of 1/2". Heat until very hot over high heat. Drop rice sticks into oil, a small handful at a time. Remove immediately with slotted spoon to paper towels; set aside.

Pour dressing recipe below into large mixing bowl. Add chicken; toss. Add lettuce/cabbage/cilantro/green onions, all but 2 T. of the almonds and sesame seeds; toss thoroughly. Add *rice sticks *and/or *crispy Raman noodles broken up; toss lightly. Serve immediately. Makes 4-6 servings.
Five-Spice Dressing:
1/4 cup oil
1 T rice vinegar
1 flavor packet from Chicken Raman
1 T water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. five-spice powder
Thoroughly blend all ingredients with fork or wire whisk.

Asian Chicken salad

This was a restaurant quanaty dressing that I fell in love with and the chef gave me the formula I've yet to knock it back to a righteous level
belive me it is worth the trouble to knock it back it will keep for ever
:cool: :sorcerer: :chicken: :clap: :chef: Dave

This was a restaurant quanaty dressing that I fell in love with and the chef gave me the formula I've yet to knock it back to a righteous level
belive me it is worth the trouble to knock it back it will keep for ever
:cool: :sorcerer: :chicken: :clap: :chef: Dave
well I don't want it to keep forever, just long enough to slip into my little mouth:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom