"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Ms. Mofet's String Bean Salad

You can make this with fresh string beans or fresh broccoli (*see note). Sorry I don't have exact measurements. It depends on the amount of string beans or broccoli you start with.
Taste often and adjust to personal taste preference (and company LOL Vampires beware!). I like to make this the day before if possible so it can chill and meld the flavors.

Ms. Mofet's String Bean Salad

All ingredients to taste according to amount of beans

Fresh string beans - cleaned and steamed till just tender*
Fresh garlic - sliced thin, pressed or grated
Fresh lemon juice and zest
Olive oil
Ground Sea Salt
Ground black pepper

In bowl mix garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Cook string beans and toss in dressing while hot.

Serve hot or chilled.

*You can substitute fresh steamed broccoli and add tuna to broccoli salad for a light lunch or nutritious snack.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

Looks and sounds deeelish MsM!

I'm always looking for a new way with one of my favorite Trader Joe's items!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Looks and sounds deeelish MsM!

I'm always looking for a new way with one of my favorite Trader Joe's items!

Hope you like it Kay.

Are those the ones you steam in the bag? I have never used them for the salad I always use the regular green beans. But I will have to try them.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
Master Chef

Nope, although they are frozen, you don't steam them in the bag MsM. They are really excellent, tender and can be used like any fresh green bean. I really like them with bacon, onion, sauteed and then steamed in the pot with chicken broth. I could make a meal of them that way, with just some of your wonderful garlic toast.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Sounds Good. Thanks. I think I do something similar. Usually with leftover beans and whatever vinaigrette I have already made. I never thought about adding additional garlic, so you have garlicy green beans.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I swear I made green beans that looked exactly like those pictured above last week.
I steamed a batch of the long green beans and was going to just butter them.
Instead I squeezed/pressed some fresh garlic in a serving bowl with some butter and tossed my green beans in the sauce. Also some salt and cracked pepper.
My wife loved them and they were easy.

Now I can kick them up. Thanks ms.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks, Msmofet....those look good. I just bought some fresh string beans and a couple of lemons yesterday, so I think I'll head into the kitchen and make this now. I'll let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and have some with this afternoon's dinner.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
Master Chef

Msmofet, this was delicious. I was going to save half for tomorrow but they were so good, that there are no leftovers.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

It has been eons since I had Italian green bean salad. The Pirate's MIL used to make every time I went to her house. It was the first thing I would eat. I always left the plate clean. It is so simple to make. I don't know why I haven't made it myself.

Dang you. Now I want Pizza and a Green Bean Italian Salad.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks lovely. I was thinking perfect for adding some shrimp, scallops, or crab meat!

Tags
green beans, recipe, salad

Ms. Mofet's String Bean Salad You can make this with fresh string beans or fresh broccoli (*see note). Sorry I don't have exact measurements. It depends on the amount of string beans or broccoli you start with. Taste often and adjust to personal taste preference (and company LOL Vampires beware!). I like to make this the day before if possible so it can chill and meld the flavors. [B][U]Ms. Mofet's String Bean Salad[/U][/B] All ingredients to taste according to amount of beans Fresh string beans - cleaned and steamed till just tender* Fresh garlic - sliced thin, pressed or grated Fresh lemon juice and zest Olive oil Ground Sea Salt Ground black pepper In bowl mix garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook string beans and toss in dressing while hot. Serve hot or chilled. *You can substitute fresh steamed broccoli and add tuna to broccoli salad for a light lunch or nutritious snack. [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Food%20Two/string_bean_salad_P1090523.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews