"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'll be having a go with these. I bought some quinoa a while back but the packet said to boil it for 45 minutes. It was not nice and I haven't tried it since.
I haven't seen any that required that long of cooking time. Did you rinse it first? I like to use all three colours together (white, red, and black). I typically toast it before cooking it.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I haven't seen any that required that long of cooking time. Did you rinse it first? I like to use all three colours together (white, red, and black). I typically toast it before cooking it.
I thought it was a bit excessive but not having cooked it before I did as I was told.

Yes, I rinsed it first as I do rice.

The toasting sounds good. I'll do that next time. Tossing in a dry pan?

Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

I toast it in just the teeniest bit of oil for a few seconds. Not sure if that can really be called 'toasting' but that's what I do. I use the pre-rinsed, but if you can't get that over on your side of the pond, it needs to be rinsed several times. As with CWS, I like the tri-colored as well.

45 minutes IS excessive. I use a cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water (or chicken or veggie broth mostly), bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes. By the time it's off the heat for a few and drained, it's a nice consistency without being mushy.

It seems as though the link I posted for the "zesty quinoa salad" on the previous page isn't working....at least it wasn't for me when I last checked it. Does anyone else have that problem, or is it just my computer?
If so, I'll repost it.

Anyway, here's a pic from a couple of days ago. I could eat bowls of this at a time. I added chopped red and green bell peppers, and a bit of chopped jalapenos, just 'cause I had them and it sounded better. :-)

Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

The link works fine for me Cheryl. It looks like a good recipe. I have been trying to post my Quinoa Salad Recipe, but I apparently cannot from my phone. I guess I will have to go log into the desktop. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thank you, bunny. Don't know why when I click on the link it's just blank.

Looking forward to seeing your fave quinoa recipe when you have time.

Tags
peas, quinoa, recipe, salad, veggies

My favorite Quinoa salad!! YUM.. When I make a quinoa salad I love to add as much fresh veggies as I can, but my favorite recipe is the following. I cook my organic GM free quinoa for 15 minutes, then I let it cool down and I start mixing the veggies. While I cook my quinoa, I flash stir fry some garlic (to taste), peas and some julienne carrots with some celery, I slice a mix of sweet onion and spring onions (1 1/2 cup). Once everything is cooked, I add some fresh tomatoes, either cherry tomatoes or bigger ones sliced, then I add some avocado and make my dressing. Dressing: 2TB olive oil 2TB balsamic vinegar 1TB Honey 1TB Dijon Mustard Mix it all together and then add fresh herbs: parsley and basil to taste... enjoy!!! 3 stars 1 reviews