"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Honey Badger

My husband used to like KFC's Cole Slaw until I made Andy's recipe for him. He won't eat anything but that now.

Kade's and I had a good laugh about Cole Slaw when we had lunch together. The food arrived looked nice. Every plate had a side of Cole Slaw. I looked at mine. Forgot for a sec where I was at and announced kind of loud " THIS isn't Andy's Cole Slaw!" LOL! Kades looked at it, looked back at me shook her head said " No it's not!" Guess we were just a bit spoiled..

Munky.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
That's usually what I do and use the Kraft Coleslaw dressing.

I love the KFC because it is always so crisp and fresh tasting. Not too soupy; and their cabbage is so finely shredded.
Exactly.

Thanks for the slaw recipes.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Master Chef

I need Andy's recipe.

Here's another KFC Cole Slaw Copy Cat that tastes identicle, but is a bit easier. The amouont of salad dressing is a guess as I add some, stir it in, and add more until I get the cabbage lightly coated. This is a very juicy cole slaw recipe and will almost quench your thirst. It's tried and true. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
  • 1 heat cabbage, grated
  • 1/4 cup Carrot, grated
  • 3 tbl. Onion minced
  • 5 tbs. Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
  • 2 tbs. sugar
  • 1/4 cup ice water
Stir all ingredients together in a bowl, chill, and serve cold.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Good slaw at KFC....I never knew! ~ Now if they only knew how to fry chicken!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Even when we go through the trouble of ordering a complete smoked shoulder from our most fav.'s BBQ place, we ALWAYS get KFC slaw as an accompaniment...may have to try your recipe just once to see how it goes!!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Good slaw at KFC....I never knew! ~ Now if they only knew how to fry chicken!!
A thousand years or so ago, back when we were inventing the wheel, I went to a local boat show held at our local stadium. KFC was just opening a restaurant in town. They were on site, and I tried the chicken for the first time. It was love at first bite. Now you have to understand that on the Canada border, fried chicken was prepared at our house infrequently. And though my parents were excellent cooks, it just wasn't on the menu very often. There was a chicken place called Vic's Chicken where the fried chicken was tasty, but seasoned simply with salt (but their baked beans were amazing). And so the many herbs and spices that graced my tongue were new to me, and were a revelation of new flavors.

Now, I can season my own chicken and use a frying/baking method that insures ultra juicy and tender chicken. KFC is now just "that over-salted, greasy stuff that costs way to much. But I do enjoy their cole slaw, and took pains to duplicate it. Of course, you can change the recipe to include diced apple, raisins, walnuts, or whatever you like in your cole slaw. I've even grated crispy root veggies such as radish and rutabaga into my slaw with success. I would think that raw beets would make a colorful and sweet addition as well.

Folks, play with your slaw recipes'. Who knows what incredible creations you can make, and then share with all of us.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Well GW, I took one for the team today.....Stopped by a KFC ordered one chicken breast, one biscuit, and slaw. I only wanted the slaw, but said what the heck...Anyway, the Slaw was as many have said...very good, very nice. I seemed to detect overtones of horseradish..It was there, and just as quickly it was gone. Whatever, it's definitely a Winner ~~ It only took two bites of biscuit, and three of the breast to remind me where I was...Yuck! Greasy, tasteless, flavorless chicken...It was warm, not hot...I wondered how long it had been out of the fryer...I wondered how old the oil was... This was at 11:40...One would think the "good stuff" would have been out....Ate most of the slaw, and dumped the Chicken & biscuit ~~~ .Off to a Competitor where I ordered a chicken breast, biscuit, and slaw. First up, the slaw...Really saucy looking, a little to creamy looking.. Hmmm it tasted ok...not a heavy mayonnaise taste like I thought it may have...It was mediocre as slaw goes. Next the biscuit...Wow!! it's hot...Wow it' buttery on top, Wow, it taste so good...A big Winner! ~~ Next the chicken breast...First bite...Wow! that's hot! That's fresh chicken, lots of flavor....Another bite, and I determined I better let it cool for a few minutes...I certainly didn't need, nor intend to eat all of it, but I couldn't help myself ~~ Next time I'll go by KFC and order a slaw, then head over to the other place for the chicken and biscuit!! ~~ Your mileage may vary.

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

Great report Uncle Bob!! Now are you going to clue us in about the name of the winner for the chicken and biscuit? Inquiring minds need to know.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Don't ordinarily eat KFC but I had one of those impossible-to-ignore need for fried chicken a few days ago. We orded breasts and a side of beans; no slaw because I prefer slaw on the less creamy and less sweet-side of the slaw spectrum. The 'baked' beans were devoid of all flavor and the chicken was greasy and dry, but fulfilled my guilty pleasure at least.

I'm totally going to shred root veggies into my next slaw, that sounds brilliant! Thanks, GW and if it's not too much trouble can you share your fry and bake method for fried chicken? I have one of those little FryDaddys where I can fit one piece in at a time... but the thought of doing a fry/bake combo technique intrigues me... :)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, who was the competitor, UB?

And at 11:40 they are still getting rid of yesterday's stuff
Glad you tried and liked their slaw.

Tags
None