My take on KFC's Cole Slaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, who was the competitor, UB?

And at 11:40 they are still getting rid of yesterday's stuff :LOL:
Glad you tried and liked their slaw.

... Ya know Fred....I think you may be on to something!!! :ermm: ~~ :LOL: Obviously someone is making a business decision to keep this location, and others open...I just don't see how. They are never busy...at least when I notice... I don't have a 24 hour surveillance going on but....just sayin. ~~~~

Kayelle there are several establishments that come to mind who fry out chicken that's much, much better...A local grocery store deli, a Shell and Exxon station/C Store, and an independent C Store...all during the noonish hour i might add... Can't speak for 3:30 in the afternoon etc...Not to mention a few well known, local Meat & Three/buffet joints in the area ~~ I've never seen the appeal of the place except for maybe way back when the bearded man in the white suit was still in charge,...but that was back when Moby Dick was still a minnow and my memory hadn't faded so. ~~ The slaw is delicious however. Thanks to all for bringing that point out! Anyway. "Love that Chicken from Popeyes":whistling

Last edited:
Kur; Make yourself some egg wash by beating an egg with a little milk. Take a shallow, but large bowl and fill with enough flour to coat your chicken. Season with salt, pepper, sage, oregano, granulated garlic, or whatever you like to season your chicken with. I like to use the above, plus dried celery leaves. a half tsp. or so of cayenne pepper, and a tbs. or so of good chicken soup base. Dredge the chiken in the egg wash, taking care to coat the entire chicken piece. You can leave the skin on, or remove it before placing in the egg was. It doesn't matter. Your chicken will be very juicy either way. Place into the bowl containing the seasoned flour. Shake to completely coat the chicken. If you want, you can place it in the egg wash a second time, and re-coat with flour to make a thicker crust. That's optional. Lift the chicken from the flour and bounce to remove the excess flour. Place into a pan of 360' oil and fry until lightly browned. Turn the chicken and lightly brown the other side. Place the chicken onto a foil lined sheet pan and place into a 350' oven for 40 minutes. Remove and serve hot. Have napkins ready. This chicken will squirt you when you bite into it.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have three options in my neighbourhood for crispy fried chicken: make it myself, go to KFC (here it's Poulet Frite Kentucky), or the local Chinese buffet. :LOL:

I have one option for chicken besides me. The town grocery store recently added it in their buffet counter. Made fresh at 11:30 every day. I like it, but it tastes surprisingly like KFC's :ermm: only not quite as greasy. I haven't tried their slaw. I should to see if they use a copycat recipe.

As you may guess, the options for Fried Chicken here are numerous....Many of the C-Stores fry chicken, tator logs, chicken strips etc. They hold it in 4' cases with heat lamps...Almost all grocery stores have a Southern deli with fried chicken, and there are many small, as well as large independent Meat & Three places...bottom line, one is never far from a piece of fried chicken...whether, bad, ,average, or excellent. ~~~ I have found, and it comes at no surprise that timing is everything! Hot, fresh out of the fryer is the key! Most prepare for the noon crowd so that's the time to strike...1:30 or 2:00 after a few hours under the heat lamps, and for me it's history....Just passable if you're hungry and don't have a lot of options.

Anyway, after relating yesterday's Chicken story to my wife and telling her about the KFC slaw...She said good! "When you go to town tomorrow pick some up and we'll have it Saturday night with our Fried Catfish" :ermm: So, I'll have to add that to my list today....I was gonna hitch up the wagon and go into town today for supplies anyway...One more stop want make that much difference........Just another day.... beyond the black top....

Last edited:
I agree with Uncle Bob about Popeye's fried chicken - especially the spicy fried chicken! YUM. The KFC coleslaw keeps me returning to them though. That being said, I had not been there in a while when a co-worker obtained some of their grilled chicken for a pot-luck. It was actually very good. I'm unsure whether it was simply fresh or what, but it has been consistently good when I've had it. I'm sure it is not grilled like we do it at home, but it tastes good with a blend of spices and is not greasy at all.

i really liked the grilled kfc chicken. bought 10 pieces and had some for smunch. that's lunch and dinner, in the middle of the afternoon. i usually only buy thighs and legs if it is just for me. no sides, just chicken.

I have to share this. The first time I made my "Smoldering Chicken" recipe, I called them hot thighs, since they were made from chicken thighs instead of wings. This raised a few eyebrows as I'm known to be very conservative, including with my language. I realized immediately the connotations of "Hot Thighs" and promptly change the name.:rolleyes:

After all, my grandchildren will one day inherit my recipes.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

goodweed, you are just to funny. since i am a thigh fan, think i will call em that, if only to myself. lol

The recipe is - 1/3 cup Sriracha pepper Sauce, 2 tbs. Tobasco Sauce. 1 tbs. lite Soy Sauce. Combine with 1/2 cup water. Place uncooked chicken thighs into a zipper-seal plastic bag with the marinade and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes. Remove and grill over direct heat on the Webber, or gas grill (for me it has to be the Webber Kettle with a solic bed of good charcoal). Serve with KFC style cole slaw. Suprisingly, this chicken isn't scorching hot. It just leaves a wonderful flavor and warm glow in your mouth. Of course, you can add other flavors to the marinade to suit your own tastes. But the first time I made this, it was an instant hit with my family, and I was begged for the recipe.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GW, what that your "Best chicken ever" thread a while back?
I still make that once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom