Name of dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've always been skeptical about the risks associated with eating raw eggs. chicken flesh is another story, however, because slaughter practices do create a higher risk, so i'm no referring to that.

i was raised on norwegian egg nogs. norskie egg nogs are just raw eggs blended/whipped into chocolate milk. i must have had at least one a week during the winter months all throughout my childhood. so did my elder siblings, a few of which have severe allergies and other health issues including sensitivites to gastro-intestinal anomalies.

no one ever became ill from the egg nogs. my mother did always wash the eggs after purchase, before storing them in the refrigerator, which may be a contributing factor.

i guess, the question would be can salmonella penetrate an eggshell and membrane? what about other creepy crawlies?

BT, I read somewhere that the salmonella in the chicken can get into the bird's ovaries and end up inside the egg when the shell forms. In that case, washing the shell does no good.

Last edited:
Caine via the American Egg Board said:
Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria.

buckytom said:
i must have had at least one a week during the winter months all throughout my childhood. so did my elder siblings...no one ever became ill from the egg nogs.

So I guess the question is...did you and you siblings consume 20,000 egg nogs during your childhood?

You have to count ALL the eggs you've eaten as part of the 20,000, not just the raw ones. You may have eaten a dozen eggs contaminated with salmonella over time, but if they were cooked, you'd never know and it would improve your odds for consuming raw eggs safely.

Roll those dice!

Well, it seems to be a variation of a Caesar salad dressing at the very least and it sounds extremely tasty! I do add some hot sauce to my dressing when I make it. I like that little bite. This was just your Mom's version and what a good one it was! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

GB said:
So I guess the question is...did you and you siblings consume 20,000 egg nogs during your childhood?

stats don't work like that. they can, but they don't have to when talking about 20,000 to 1, so that's an improbable arguement. same goes for the stat about "every 84 years".

andy, i think i remember something about salmonella and ovaries also. i'll have to do some research, and see about the efficacy of the testing.

another factor may have been that since we ate raw eggs often, we may have developed a greater resistance to certain ickies. the "good dirt" scenario.

anyway, back to caesar salad.

Caine said:
...At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

Heck, I'll take those odds to Vegas!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a variation of the caesar dressing with egg. I know many people are saying caesar must have egg in it and all but I simply don't want it in there. It is my mom's usual caesar dressing. I don't use the egg, not due to the health risks with eating raw eggs but it's more of the reason that my parents won't eat it since they don't like the raw eggs in it. I find adding in various herbs could help it along but I usually leave them out. I thought about adding in fresh basil or chives but decided not to. Alternatively, infused sunflower oil with tomatoes (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes) can be used instead of EVOO if you want to be even more different.

Back
Top Bottom